14 - Ohio

A few years have gone by and it's now 1992 - I'm assigned back to the Red Room unit to look after Natalia. I enter the dorm room that the younger Red Room Agents are in and see Natalia sitting against the wall with a book in her hands.

"Hey, kiddo," I say, slouching against the wall to sit next to her, "what you doing?"

"Reading, we have to do it." She replies, closing the book and looking at me.

"You alright?" I ask, noticing her smile isn't as wide as usual, "you don't seem as happy as usual."

"I miss home." She sighs, resting her head on my arm - she's not quite tall enough to reach my shoulder.

"I know," I sigh as well, putting an arm around her, "but you're going to be ok soon. Trust me."

"Razvedchik, a minute." Volkov pokes his head through the door.

"I'll be back, Medvezhonok." I smile at her and stand outside the door.

"Alexei Shotsakov and Melina Vostokoff have been assigned to an undercover mission in Ohio, with Natalia and a younger girl called Yelena."

"What?" I ask confused.

"They leave soon."

"No, you can't-"

"If you try and fight against it, you're back into cryo-freeze," Volkov sternly interrupts, "understood?"

"Yes, Sir." I gulp and walk back to Natalia.

"What happened?" Natalia asks when she sees me.

"You need to pack your things," I sigh, "Alexei and Melina are taking you on a vacation."

"Can you come?" She looks up at me, that begging look in her eyes.

"I can't I'm afraid," I sigh again, "I'm sorry."

"It's ok, Nesti," she smiles, "I'll buy you something."

"Natalia-"

"Nope, I will."

"Alright then," I smile, "come on, pack your things."

~~~~~~

An hour or so later, I stand by the entrance to the base, watching Natalia get in the car for Ohio. She looks back at me before getting into the vehicle, and that's when it dawned on me - these kids weren't going on a vacation, they were being used for a mission. I run towards her, screaming her name as she jumps out the car and runs towards me. The two of us are caught by separate Agents, both of us with tears down our faces, Natalia kicking her legs in an attempt to break free.

"Natalia, no!" I scream, being held back at the shoulders by two Agents.

"Nesti!" Natalia screams back at me, doing everything she could to break free.

"Razvedchik!" Lipovsky yells, "stand down!" I give him an evil look before breaking away from the Agents and sprinting towards Natalia. She also breaks off and runs at me, throwing herself into a hug.

"It's ok, Natalia, it's ok," I reassure her, "it's going to be ok."

"I want to stay here," she sniffles, "with you."

"I know, I know," I reply, standing her in front of me, "but you can't, ok?"

"But, Nesti-"

"Listen," I look back at the Red Room Agents, "you're going to be ok. You'll be back very soon and I'll still be here, ok?"

"Ok," she answers as I use my sleeves to wipe her tears, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Medvezhonok." I say softly as I'm grabbed by Lipovsky and Volkov. I watch in silence as I get pulled away and Natalia gets in the car with Yelena, Melina and Alexei. I get dragged into the control room of the base and get thrown back into the chair. Once my arms are tied down, they choose not to harm me at first, but to interrogate me.

"You're an idiot, Emerson," Lipovsky spits as he leans closely in front of me, "the hell did you think you were doing?" I ignore him and blankly stare straight ahead of me. Lipovsky slaps me in an attempt to get an answer out of me, but I still ignore him.

"The girl has to go on the mission and there's nothing you can do about it." He sniggers. Some of the Agents tighten the restraints on my arms and ankles and place the bar around my head again.

"You're going to regret that." Lipovsky laughs as the electricity is heavily pulsed through my body for what I think is the third time.

However, this time, I wasn't immediately thrown into the freezing chamber. The Doctors brought out a trolley with a blue drip bag connected to it and attaches it to my body. They slowly transferred the liquid from the bag into my veins as I felt my muscles tense and stretch. I felt stronger, more powerful, but I'm still unable to escape the chair.

The chills of the blue are replaced by painful waves of untameable power. After this, I'm shoved back into the chamber, though the ice doesn't sting as much and it takes more men to move me from the chair. The ice covers my vision again as both my body and my mind freeze.