eight

Harper

"I was right about one thing," I prompted.

"And what might that be?"

"You were stalking me."

He rolled his eyes, "Barely."

"I can't believe you really did that."

"I was fucking nervous."

I gave him a thoughtful nod, "It's okay to be shy."

Silence. I pursed my lips to suppress my laughter as he shot me a cold glare.

"Those don't do anything to me, remember?" I said, picking up a fry and pointing it at him, then I ate it. He shrugged. "But there's a few things I don't understand." my eyebrows pulled in, "How did I not see you?"

"You're always stuck in your own world up in your head."

"Fair enough."

I just felt so stupid. He was right there. With me—in a way. And I didn't even notice.

I was too busy moping around because of how much I missed him. Occasionally crying myself to sleep, thinking of him.

And he was literally right there.

That only happened around two times a month. I'd randomly come across something that reminded me of him and I'd get that rush of emotions and memories.

And I would cry, drowning in a pool of my own feelings.

"What made you feel ready to finally stop brooding and come talk to me?"

"Is this an interview?" he said.

"Do you want that spot in my life again?"

"I already have it."

He's always had it. Even when he wasn't around, I still kept that place for him in my heart. "Not just yet," I said teasingly.

"Then why are you with me right now?"

"Because you forced me to!"

He chuckled under his breath, "Oh."

"Yeah, oh." I paused, needing to choose my words carefully, "But thank you, I think I needed this. We needed this." I gestured between him and I.

"This is just the beginning. I have more things planned for us in the future."

"I would really like to know how you know about all these cool places? You don't even live here."

"I've lived here for a month," he corrected, "And I read a few articles and stuff."

"You really do have it all thought out, huh? Trying to win me back Morano?"

"Did I ever lose you?"

Not really.

I gave him a look, telling him I knew otherwise to which he rolled his eyes, "Well, you kind of did-"

"I was being stupid."

"I know."

His lips twitched into a faint smile, "And yet here we are."

"Here we are." I confirmed. I stared at my empty take out box, void of my cheese fries, "So what's next on your agenda for us?"

"Nothing else for now. But tonight, I was thinking we could maybe go-" He saw the apologetic look on my face and paused mid sentence.

Nora and I were supposed to go to the club tonight. Though, I wished I could spend the night with him instead.