Fifteen

Harper

"I have a lot of that."

"I have more," I said.

"Where?"

"At the bank," I replied.

"Idiot." he mumbled, I broke out into laughter as he rubbed his forehead in amused frustration.

"Did knowing that I, a woman, is richer than you, hurt your ego?"

"It deflated it," he said seriously but I caught the sarcasm laced in his voice. My head fell back as I laughed. God, I missed this. I haven't laughed like that in so long.

Since the break up. Or should I say, since our break.

Comfortable silence surrounded us once more and I found myself wanting to get a little closer to him. I dropped my hand right in between us without really noticing and I could've sworn his hand twitched.

I had to admit, I wanted him to hold my hand. When I thought about it, it made my head spin and my heart flutter. But when he actually made the move, I quickly retracted my hand, clearing my throat.

"You don't trust me," he said more than asked.

"I do trust you," I swallowed hard, unable to stop the somewhat of a lie that slipped past my lips.

"Nah, you don't." He took a cigarette out of his pocket, lit it up and placed it between his lips.

"You're right, I don't." I whispered.

He's given me multiple reasons as to why I should've never trusted him. How was now any different?

I glanced at him and he was staring at my hands that were clasped together on my thighs. I fidgeted with the hem of my dress as I didn't know what to do with them.

"Why?" I knew he already knew the answer.

"I did and look what you did with that."

"I had my reasons," he said.

"And you don't trust me either."

If he did, he wouldn't be hiding things from me. But then again, same goes for me, if I wanted him to trust me, I should trust him.

It was not that easy. For the both of us.

"I do."

"You don't."

He sighed, and ran his hand down his face, "It's complicated."

"I know. Everything about you is complicated."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"Never mind."

"Tell me." It was more of a demand and not a question.

"You give mixed signals."

"I give mixed signals?" he repeated, disbelief evident in his tone.

I managed the smallest of smiles, "Yes."

"You give me that look in your eyes and all I want to fucking do is kiss you."

My eyes widened at his abrupt and blunt declaration. I racked my mind for any smart replies, "Your demeanour changes so much. One moment you're kind then the next, you're all cold, short responses and all. You're confusing me and I don't like it."

"I was like this all those years ago and you fell in love with me, you trusted me."

I got up and moved away from him, "That was before I realized it was a mistake."