twenty-six

Harper

"I would never fall in love again until I found her, I said I would never fall unless it's you I fall into..." Until I found you by Stephan Sanchez played from my phone as we slow danced in my living room. Speaking the words we could not say.

"It's funny don't you think?" I spoke suddenly.

"What is?"

"I left three years ago and now you came after me."

"Always." a pause, "It's you I belong with. Home is here. And I'll be damned if I let you go again."

"Don't give me a reason to leave."

He held me tighter, kissing my head, "I won't."

I smiled, "This song is so fitting."

He nodded, "People are writing songs about us, that's how you know we were meant to be."

That made me laugh, "You're such a romantic."

He shrugged nonchalantly, "For you. Can't help it."

At this point, my feelings were spiralling, out of control but out of my heart and right into his, I was pretty sure he could feel my heartbeat beating at an unreasonably fast pace. And for him, always. I let out a sigh, "That makes two of us."

The smallest of smiles tugged at his lips, "I've been waiting for you to admit it."

I lifted my shoulder, "I wasn't going to make it easy for you."

"This is simply the beginning, sweetheart. Just wait. I'm making it up to you."

"Or you could get on your knees and beg," I stopped talking, a laugh left my lips as the thought of him begging entered my mind. Either way, I'd forgive him because my heart can't fight against it. Not anymore. Not ever.

That didn't make me weak, nor did it make me strong. I was falling in love with him all over again and that, made me stupid. But we were going to be stupid together because that's what we were made for. We were made for each other and we'd make up for all the time we've lost.

Now that things were falling back into place, I could officially say that my life wasn't perfect nor imperfect but that's what made it so exciting. The thrill of it all. Jumping into the unknown of tomorrow, with him. That's it, that's all.

He responded only with a smirk, making me roll my eyes. Then my laughter filled the air as he twirled me around. I laced our fingers together and started swaying with him to Line Without a Hook by Ricky Montgomery.

"She's a, she's a lady and I am just a line without a-oh baby I am a wreck when I'm without you..."

"My lady," he said almost to himself.

"And what are you to me?" I asked.

"You tell me."

He's everything to me. There's not a word that describes his importance in my world. He's my love. My Ace. And once upon a time he was my boyfriend. But that was long gone. We weren't like that anymore. It was something deeper than that. The feelings I harboured for him, bottling them up and getting drunk off of them.

If love was poetry. The things I felt for him were sonnets. Music and poetry were alike. Music was wordless, all feelings. You could feel the emotions, the romance, in your heart. Poetry was the somewhat opposite. Just words, no music. Only in your soul, could you hear the melody. The words either made your chest ache or flutter with butterflies.

Words were nothing. But music, no words, nothing. Just feelings. The melody told you everything you needed to know. No poems could dictate how I felt about him but the sonnets could. A soft, slow, passionate song playing in the background.