Twelve

Harper

I watched him leave the store. The door shut behind him and with that, he was gone.

I let out a sigh, wiping my hands on my apron. I went back behind the counter and served more customers.

It took my mind off of things, for a while. Until it didn't. The thought of him was thought many times.

I didn't know if I should feel good about it or bad. But I felt good so that's that. I even caught myself smiling.

Now, I flipped the sign to the closed side and began sweeping the floors. I couldn't help but feel a bit worried for him.

I never liked what he did for his father but he needed to do it to survive. I came to terms with it and thought of ways I could help him.

Like when we were dating. I couldn't bear to think of him getting hurt. Or worse. The fear of him not coming home to me was constant.

Even now, I can't help but think about all the possible horrible scenarios.

And I felt lonelier than ever. The silence around me was deafening.

The worries and fears consumed most of my thoughts. I was tempted to call him.

I had to remind myself. He's busy and he'll be okay.

Groaning, I decided I should start dusting the shelves. Anything to get my mind away from those horrid ways of thinking.

And that's what I did for the next hour or so, I cleaned. It was an unnecessary amount of cleaning but I didn't care. It relieved me of the stress.

I walked into the back room, grabbing my sweater. Though it was May, the weather at night was still a bit chilly. I slipped it on and grabbed my purse.

After turning off the lights, I exited the store and locked the door.

Walking to my car, which was parked across the street, I unlocked it and got in—I went to pick it up from the garage earlier this morning.

I started the car and let my playlist choose the mood for the atmosphere around me. 'right where you left me" by Taylor Swift played. I could laugh at the irony.

I drove off down the busy streets, feeling a little more at ease. It was late, music played and I was driving. Could it get any more perfect?

Yes, it could. I rolled down the window a little and the cool air kissed my face.

I smiled, absentmindedly glancing at the passenger seat, stupidly thinking he would be there.

It was something I did from time to time. A habit I could never really get rid of.

I made a left turn into my neighbourhood and parked the car on my driveway. Stepping out, I headed inside and closed the door behind me.

I was greeted by Jelly, who was making random sounds, as if mumbling to herself. I laughed and knelt down, petting her soft fur.

She let out a satisfied purr, licking my hand. I smiled and picked her up, hugging her close to my chest. "What did you do all day?"

I wasn't expecting a response and snorted when I thought about it. I think something's wrong with me.

One moment, I'm feeling down and sappy, philosophical thoughts and all. Then the next moment, I'm making myself laugh.

I took off my shoes and carried her to the living room. Her ball of yarn and toys were all scattered around on the floor.

I smiled frowningly, placing her on the ground. She went over to her water bowl, leaving me to clean up her mess. I picked up her stuff and placed it back in her little bed.