twenty-four

Harper

Walking up my porch steps, I turned back once more, waving him goodbye. "I'll see you later!" I called, smiling.

He nodded and watched as I went inside, closing the door behind me. I let out a sigh, slipping off my shoes. Today, something felt different between us. A good kind of different. I knew it all too well. This feeling in my chest, from the heart.

With that thought, I went upstairs to my bedroom and got ready for the day. Picking out an outfit, a pair of black flared pants, a white skin tight long sleeved shirt and a leather jacket. I changed out of his clothes, got dressed and looked at myself in the mirror.

Going into my bathroom, I did my makeup and brushed my hair. Leaving it down. The person who looked back at me, seemed somewhat happier. At ease. The bags under my eyes were faded a little. Not that it mattered but I felt like I was glowing. More than before.

With a content smile, I exited the bathroom and headed downstairs. Grabbing my purse, I went to the door and put on my high top converse then I was out of the house. Getting in my car, I drove out of the garage and reversed out of my driveway, driving off down the streets.

I made it to the store in no time and parked the car. I walked inside, greeted Genevieve and headed to the back room. I put away my things and slipped on an apron. Then I got to work.

It was eleven twenty in the morning and pretty busy. Customers came and went. Tables were occupied then emptied. Trays went in and out of the oven. I placed yet another batch of blueberry muffins into the oven and wiped my hands on my apron, going back to the counter.

Henry stood there, smiling. An uneasy feeling pooled in my stomach. Nonetheless, I returned the smile. "The usual?"

"Actually, could I get your number?" I almost choked out a laugh. I had to bite my lip to suppress it. That was pretty smooth though, I'd give him that.

"Uh, no but we do have a variety of other coffee choices?" I said, trying my best to brush off his failed attempt to flirt with me. I hoped he would take the hint.

He frowned slightly, not exactly disappointed. More like in a curious way, "You're with him?"

"Ace?" I said dumbly. He nodded, "Um well, yes." I cleared my throat, "I am. With him."

Though, it wasn't because I was with Ace that I didn't want to go out with Henry. I simply wasn't interested. If he had asked me a month ago when Ace was out of my life, I still would've said no.

His eyebrows shot up, "Oh. I didn't know that. Sorry, I'll take a blueberry muffin and my usual coffee."

I laughed quietly at the whole situation, "Don't be sorry. It's on the house."

He shook his head, smiling and placed a five dollar bill on the counter. "I got it."

Giving in, I put the money away in the cash register and prepared his coffee. While the coffee machine was doing its thing, I grabbed a paper bag and used a tong to pick up a blueberry muffin, placing it in the bag. I poured the coffee into a cup, covered it with the lid and handed it to him, with the muffin, "Enjoy."

"Have a nice day Harper."

Nodding at him, I greeted the next customer, took their order and so on.I had a lot of time to think. About things. Everything.

I've come to realize that the real thing actually holding me back from letting myself fall, again, was my ego. After what happened in the past, I told myself I'd never go back there. I would never fall back into the person I used to be.