Fourteen

Harper

I locked the door and put the keys back in my bag. The soft breeze of early summer kissed my face and brushed through my hair. I let out a sigh.

Frankly, I was a bit cross with him. He took me here, left and I dumbly fell for it. Now, I had no way to get home.

Except for the subway, that is. But I had to walk to the station. It was late and I was both tired and hungry. I decided I should go to get some "Chick-fil-A" then head to the station.

I walked down the sidewalk, probably sticking out like a daisy in a field of dandelions. Because well, I was alone.

I frowned a little, feeling a tad self conscious. I didn't care about what people thought about me, but I did, all the same.

It was a weird thing.

I knew that I had nothing to worry about but if someone thought otherwise, that would make me think and feel like I should.

My mind was pretty messy but it all worked out.

I didn't hate myself as much as I used to. And with that thought, I never actually hated myself, I only hated some parts of me. Three years later, I learned how to love them.

I took out my compact mirror from my purse and checked my appearance. I looked a little tired but I knew that no one else actually noticed those things about me.

Except him. He noticed everything.

He'll know when something saddened me, when something made me happy, bothered, worried, etcetera etcetera.

I took the lipgloss I always carried with me and applied it on my lips with the help of my compact mirror.

I put them back in my purse and resumed my peaceful silent—excluding the sounds of the city, walk.

I was about to cross the street when I noticed a car pulling up next to me.

I didn't recognize it at first and an alarm went off in my head. But there was only one person who would do that. The window rolled down and just as I thought, it was him.

"Was wondering when you'd notice," he said.

My eyebrows knitted in confusion but I smiled nonetheless. Despite the stalker energy I was getting from him, it was amusing, "You were following me the entire time?"

He shrugged and reached over to grab something. My smile widened as he revealed a bag of my recent craving, 'Chick-fil-A'.

"I was literally just thinking about that, what-"

"Sushi and Chick-fil-A are your favourite, remember?"

That one night at the cliff came back to my mind. The night I got to know him, parts of him no one else knew.

As I got in, a soft laugh escaped my lips, "Of course you remembered." He knew me so well. Still.

His expression remained stoic but I knew him better. He had that look in his eyes, the one that told me he wanted to smile. For some reason, he never did.

To my dismay, his smiles were rare. I was often granted a stupid smirk. Regardless, it made me feel special.

Somehow, out of everyone, he chose to be himself around me. Only me.

My thinking was cut short when I noticed we weren't headed towards my place. Turning back, I gave him a questioning gaze.

In response to my silent question, he only shook his head.

I sighed, pursing my lips, "Give me a hint, at least?"

Silence.

I gaped at him, placing my hand over my chest and feigned a hurt expression, "Are you giving me the silent treatment?"