twenty-eight

Harper

The sunlight shining through my window made him look absolutely ethereal. I would feel a little weird staring except I didn't, because this was his fault. He's all I could stare at because I was stuck in his arms. Not that I minded. I've been up since the sun rose and I swear I felt like I'm glowing, more than ever.

Last night's events circled in my mind nonstop. Same with that smile on my face, it's grown twice as wide and increased brightness ten fold at the mere idea. He was so gentle with me, yet so rough and I let him do whatever he wanted. He made love to me like it was the end of the world. Like he was drowning and I was his oxygen. The way his body moved against mine, it was all perfect.

I didn't regret a second I spent last night with him, still a little scared but he told me everything I needed to know. With his words and actions. He wasn't going to leave, and neither was I. We've reached the end of the storm, a new beginning awaited. It felt like petrichor.

All I needed to do now was find a way to get out of his iron grip. I was hungry and had the urge to make pancakes, even though I was really comfortable like this, in his arms.

Eventually, I rolled out of his arms. Until he immediately reached for me, still asleep. Laughing quietly, I got up and stood over him, leaning down and pressed my lips against his forehead. His small frown vanished within a blink of an eye.

I watched for a few more moments, drinking in his peaceful state then exited the room and walked downstairs to the kitchen. I was greeted by Salem and Jelly, who were peacefully sleeping next to each other on the couch. That had to be the cutest thing ever.

I exhaled slowly, scanning the messy living room. Jelly's toys were everywhere. Pillows were on the ground. One by one, I picked them up, placing them in her bin. Then I placed the pillows back in their respective places. Once everything was neat to my satisfaction, I headed to the kitchen and got to work.

I prepared the batter and began mixing it all together. When the consistency was smooth enough, I grabbed a pan and placed it over the stove. Turning on the stove, I let it warm up and put a small piece of butter on the pan. I used a ladle to pour the batter onto the pan, watching it sizzle as it made contact with the heat.

I took my spatula and flipped the pancake. And so on.

It was ten forty five and I had made six pancakes. It was more than enough for the both of us but I knew Nora had classes early this morning so when she'd come back, she'll get to enjoy these as well. I set hers on the counter, placing a plate over it. I brought ours over to the table.

Going over to the fridge, I took out maple syrup, blueberries and whipped cream and put those on the table next to our plates. I went back to the counter and gathered all the dirty dishes, bringing them to the sink.

As I was occupied washing the dishes, I hadn't noticed he was awake. That is, until I felt his arms circle around my waist, pulling me close against his chest. He kissed my head and simply stood there as I cleaned.

"Good morning." he said. His deep and raspy morning voice sent butterflies to my stomach and made my heart flutter. Smiling, I finished up with that last dish. All while he was holding me like he used to. I've dreamed of the moments like these and now I was, living it.

This was like the future we always talked about. And even though forever was not promised, we were blessed with yet another tomorrow. Today, I could feel was going to be a good day. It was yesterday's tomorrow. Tomorrow's yesterday. It was a simple moment of now. Infinite because we had all the time in the world, all the tomorrows. A comfortable atmosphere surrounded us, it was home.