competition weekend

paige was carefully practicing her solo in the dressing room, ensuring extra caution so as not to hit anyone or anything

paige was carefully practicing her solo in the dressing room, ensuring extra caution so as not to hit anyone or anything. abby shouted corrections and she took extra care to fix them. chloe and maddie watched from the sides with a grin at how much more positive attention there friend was getting.

"straighter supporting leg paige!" abby shouted. "nice coupe, that was beautiful!"

kelly still hadn't returned to the studio. brooke and paige had been traveling with christi, holly, melissa, and jill, and they were more than happy to keep the two girls with them if it meant all the girls got to continue dancing together.

"alright. maddie and chloe." she motioned for them to come closer. "you guys are all three on in a row. maddie, then chloe, then paige. i want you to give it everything you've got and if you don't get first, second, and third, there will be no more solos in your future."

the girls nodded, making sure to focus on their breathing so abby didn't psych them out too much. they all began making their way backstage, the moms and abby giving hugs and wishing them luck before heading to the audience. paige focused on reviewing her solo in her head as melissa held her hand and walked her back stage.

"lemme give you a big mommy hug as christi always says!" she pulled paige into a firm grasp, and paige took a deep breath before letting go and waving by to melissa as she headed to the audience. the next few numbers passed in a blur, and before she knew it, she could hear the announcer calling her.

"please welcome to the stage entry number 64, this is paige performing 'time heals no wounds'." she walked slowly out to her spot, making sure to put a look of longing on her face instead of the smile her solos usually required. she made sure she was pointing her feet harder than ever before.

in the audience, she heard abby clapping for her along with a healthy mix of the other girls as well as christi and melissa. she was sure holly and jill were cheering for her as well.

the music began to play and paige took a deep breath.

say something i'm giving up on you,

i'll be the one if you want me to,

anywhere i would've followed you,

say something i'm giving up on you

i'm sorry that i couldn't get to you,

you're the one that i love,

and i'm saying goodbye,

say something i'm giving up on you,

and i'm sorry that couldn't get to you,

say something i'm giving up on you,

say something

as the music came to a close let out a heavy breath and set herself into her ending pose. it was so quiet she could hear a pin drop. as she stood up, curtsey'd and walked off stage, paige received a standing ovation. abby stood up out of her seat and clapped for her, and the other girls were immediately rushing out of the gym to meet her. paige squealed and ran out to where she saw the girls.

"paigey you did so good!" chloe reached paige first. she pulled the older girl into a bone crushing hug and they both squealed. kenzie, kendall, maddie, brooke, and nia all followed.

paige was squished in a group hug as they all made their way back to the dressing room. the moms immediately started clapping and cheering for paige.

"paige that was beautiful!" all the moms swarmed her as she went back and forth and hugged each of them.

paige was sure she would never stop smiling.