tension

"kelly, can you come down? i want you to watch paige's solo rehearsal

"kelly, can you come down? i want you to watch paige's solo rehearsal." kelly was shocked to get an invitation to come into studio a. she nodded without saying a word, and got out of her seat.

abby and kelly did not speak a word as they walked together down the stairs and into studio a.

"alright paige. i want your mother down in here so she can see you do this number." abby turned to kelly. "she's doing this number beautifully already, so i wanna nit pick. all the little things that go into cleaning it. she knows the choreography, her facial expressions are on point."

kelly still didn't speak, she just nodded. it was fairly obvious that she felt uncomfortable and was shocked to hear abby saying nice things about her kid.

"paige, we're gonna run this again a few times." paige nodded and got into position. abby pressed play, and she danced as beautifully as she ever had. "HIGHER KICK PAIGE! DEEPER PLIÉ!"

kelly winced a little at the volume of abby's voice, but she didn't speak up. paige had been thriving in her new relationship with abby, and kelly was not gonna ruin that.

"alright paige, what i want you to work on is those little things. you need to be thinking about pressing into your relevé, stretching deeper into that plié." paige nodded. "alright you both may go. kelly, she is fabulous."

"thank you miss abby!" kelly smiled.

"oh she still speaks!" paige froze up as she looked at her mom, willing her not to start a fight with abby. to paige's shock, her mother laughed.

she shook her head and judged abby's arm.

"thanks ab. i'll see you later!" kelly followed paige out of the studio and grabbed her things to work.

the rest of the week passed by paige quickly and before she knew it they were riding on the bus to the competition.

"paige come here." kelly quietly summoned her daughter over. "you're not in any trouble, so please don't worry, but i just got a call from your school. you're in danger of failing math, history, and science, and they want to see about getting you a tutor."

paige's eyes widened.

"i-i don't have any time for a tutor." her breathing slowly sped up. "oh gosh."

"calm down. i know you're trying your best and that we don't have the extra time for tutoring. and i've been thinking for a while now, are you interested in trying homeschooling? miss abby knows a fantastic tutor, nationally recognized, and she'd be able to help you learn at your own pace." paige paused, contemplating the option. "you don't have to think about it now but i really think it would help you."

paige nodded.

"i really like that idea. i mean, i'd miss my school friends but i definitely would love that. and i could dance even more!" paige cried. kelly chuckled.

"alright princess, think about it and we'll talk after the competition." paige hugged her mom before taking her seat next to chloe again. as they arrived at the competition, abby told them solos would be first.

"alright solos!" abby summoned the girls over. "go out there, and do what i taught you to do."

paige was last, and she was a little nervous. her dress was incredibly long, and she didn't have many of her tricks in it. she took a deep breath and walked out on stage, glad her mom was in the audience cheering for her.

i am not the kind of girl,

who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion,

but you are not the kind of boy,

who should be marrying the wrong girl,

so don't say yes run away now,

i'll meet you when you're out of the church at the back door,

don't wait or say a single vow,

you need to hear me out and they said speak now,

you'll say let's run away now,

i'll meet you when i'm out of my tux at the back door,

baby i didn't say my vows,

so glad you were around when they said speak now.

paige was out of breath by the end of the dance. she had concentrated so hard on using her face, she wasn't entirely positive the technique was where it needed to be. however, as she exited the stage and looked at miss abby, she realized she had done fine.

the group dance went about as well as it could, and the girls waited with baited breath for awards. the group had won, and it was time for solos.

"in sixth place we have entry number 96 kendal with 'it girl'." kendall smiled, but she was very nervous for how abby would react. "in fifth place, entry number 284 'seven deadly sins', that's maria!"

chloe, maddie, and paige held hands.

"fourth place. entry number 9, it's camilla with 'i'm alright'." they clapped and the girls held their breath. "on one eighth of a point separates third and second. third place is going to chloe with 'nobody's perfect'. second place is maddie with 'don't leave me'!"

"first place in our energy junior solo division, with a score of 295.5 is paige with 'the alter'!" the girls and moms screamed alike, and paige beamed as she received her trophy.

she had done it, she won again!