head over heels for solos

"on the bottom on the pyramid, kendall

"on the bottom on the pyramid, kendall." all the girls were standing there awkwardly as they could sense a fight coming on. and right they were. "i hate to do this but you are back on probation."

"abby, that is ridiculous! what more do you want from her!" jill screamed. kendall began crying, although she tried to hide it.

paige rushed over to give kendall a hug and all the other girls followed suite. eventually, jill stormed out, leaving kendall behind and telling the young girl that she just needed to cool off.

"the show must go on." abby shrugged. "brooke. you were good. you need to be great. like your sister."

paige beamed and brooke couldn't even be bothered by the insult, she was so happy for her sister.

"mackenzie." abby moved on. "and chloe. you can be better."

"next on the pyramid, maddie." abby said. "maddie. you need to be better. i expect better. second on the pyramid is nia. nia, you stood out to me in the group dance. you were beautiful. keep that up."

"and on top of the pyramid," the dramatic pause made the girls chuckle, "paige! you were our overall high score winner of the whole competition. that's what i want to see from you. that's what i have always wanted from you."

the girls surrounded paige with hugs.

"this week our group dance will be called 'head over heels'. you will be portraying brides." abby smiled. "nia. you will be doing a solo. it's a beautiful lyrical piece called 'i'll do anything for you'.

"kendall, you will have a jazz dance. it's called 'i think i like you'." abby looked around. "there will be one more solo. it is going to paige."

paige smiled.

"paige your solo is a modern contemporary piece called 'medicine'. it's a dark number about the struggles of mental health, and how it can be hard to want to get better but when you do, the process becomes worth it, and how taking the time to better yourself always pays off. we're gonna start with the group dance, moms you are dismissed." she nodded at them. "paige and brooke, come here please."

paige felt her anxiety spike as she and brooke exchanged nervous glances.

"i wanted to know that i had a talk with your mother." paige's eyes widened. "she is going to stay away from the studio for a bit. but she and i had a good discussion and we worked through some of our issues and i wanted you know that she is keeping her problems with me away from the studio so you can get the best dance education possible."

paige and brooke smiled as miss abby pulled them into a hug.

"go warm up." paige sighed in relief as she walked over to her usual spot in the studio. brooke looked relieved too.

"what did miss abby say to you?" chloe asked with wide eyes. the other girls nodded in anticipation.

"she said she talked to our mom and that she's gonna keep to herself for a bit so brooke and i can have a better time here at the dance studio." paige said all in one breath.

"she also said they worked through some of their issues with each other." brooke finished. as she sat down, mackenzie crawled over to her and gave her a hug, which brooke happily reciprocated.

the girls talked as they stretched, and miss abby smiled at how animated paige and brooke looked for once.

maybe, just maybe, things would finally get better.