engagement party

the doorbell rang aggressively throughout the ziegler household

"girls get the door!" melissa called from the kitchen, where she stirred some batter she was mixing for brownies.

maddie and mackenzie both raced to the door and fumbled their way to pull it open. paige, brooke, josh, kelly, chloe and randy stood there, bouncing with excitement. everyone squealed.

"kendall is coming later, her sister has something tonight." brooke explained. maddie ushered everyone inside.

"MOM THEY'RE HERE!" maddie yelled. melissa could be heard clunking around in the kitchen before she walked out to see all her friends holding various size bags and boxes.

"awh hi everybody!" melissa called with her big smile. "thanks so much for coming."

she hugged kelly and the girls, giving josh and randy a quick cheek kiss before taking the bag out of kelly's hand and the box from chloe's.

"my mom had to take clara to the doctor for her ear infection so she'll be here later." chloe explained.

"i talked to her on the phone earlier, i hope clara starts feeling better." melissa set the presents on the coffee table.

"melissa, jill said that they're gonna be late too." brooke cried.

"thanks for letting me know honey!" she clapped her hands. "well, make yourselves at home! i'm running a bit behind and haven't put the brownies in the oven but everything else is ready. maddie come help me set out the food."

a few minutes later with the help of maddie, paige and kelly, the spread of food had been placed out on the counter. nia, evan, william, evan jr, and holly had all arrived while they were putting out the food, and christi was entering with clara as they put the last plate out.

"sorry i'm so late." christi picked up a whining clara and gave melissa a side hug. "that line was outrageous."

melissa chuckled.

"no worries. i set up the guest room with some toys and a movie if she ends up not feeling well." melissa told her. christi sighed.

"thank you so much. it's been a long day." she turned to kelly. "thank you so much for bringing chloe. chlo, did you give melissa her present?"

chloe nodded, looking over from the plates she, paige and brooke were filling for themselves.

"yeah it's on the table!" chloe pointed before turning back to the food.

kendall, jill, ryleigh, and charlotte arrived as well as plenty of melissa's other friends. the room was bustling as the girls all congregated in the corner.

"paige what do you think about your solo this week?" chloe asked as she took a bite of a dorito she had stolen from nia's plate.

nia glared at her playfully.

"it's so nice. i just can't believe miss abby is still giving me all these solos and all these dances." no jealousy, no envy, just the girls having fun.

suddenly, nia grabbed the last bite of dorito from chloe's hand and ate it very fast.

"nia!" chloe cried. she stuck her hand out and started tickling the slightly taller girl. "how dare you!"

"it was my dorito!" nia called, jerking away from chloe. in the process, the two girls knocked over a bowl of pretzels and it went toppling to the floor.

the room went silent and all the parents looked at the girls. holly and christi exchanged glances before sighing, then busting into laughter.

"sorry melissa!" nia cried.

"we'll clean it up!" chloe finished. melissa just chuckled.

"the broom is in the kitchen." nia and chloe walked towards the kitchen trying to stifle their laughter.

"sorry." christi flashed a sympathetic glance to melissa.

"oh don't even worry about it." she just chuckled and they continued on with their conversation.

chloe and nia came back and cleaned up all the pretzels before rejoining paige, brooke, maddie, josh, and william by the drinks. mackenzie, and kendall had migrated to where charlotte and ryleigh stood.

the girls continued to socialize and run around, enjoying their opportunity to just be kids.

"i love these moments." christi put her hand over her heart. "all fights and trouble aside, i'm so glad our girls have each other."

"they were made to be together." melissa said, putting her arm around christi and giving her a hug. kelly walked over, and put her shoulder on christi's.

jill and holly joined the party, joining hands with each other and holly with melissa.

"i hope they stay friends forever." jill chuckled. "though something tells me if anyone can do it, it'll be these girls."

"they have an unbreakable bond, that's for sure." holly chimed in.

as if they had timed it, the seven girls, who had all reconvened and started wrestling, went crashing into the drink table, knocking everything to the floor. the whole party went silent.

"yup. unbreakable." holly chuckled. the moms stood there, soaking in their moment.

spilled drinks and all.