abby's favorite

"i don't even want to DISCUSS last competition

"i don't even want to DISCUSS last competition." abby said with a horrified look on her face. "kendall placed 7th, chloe got 3rd, maddie, you ran off stage like a fool when you forgot that number."

maddie hung her head in shame. melissa looked unhappy with abby's choice of words but she didn't speak up.

"the group dance was 10th. not only were we tenth, but the wicked witch from ohio beat us!" abby screamed. "there was one single good thing from that competition and that was paige. you should all be thanking her profusely. she saved our reputation with a perfect score."

the girls and moms clapped.

"as you can see, what we have isn't really a pyramid." abby began taking pictures off the one single row that was on the mirror. "maddie, chloe, brooke, nia, kenzie, kendall. you are all on the bottom of the pyramid."

she pulled off the last picture.

"paige, i am not letting you get thrown under the bus with these girls who did not perform. you performed beautifully this weekend. you will have a solo." everyone clapped again. "chloe, you will also have a solo. kenzie, so will you."

"chloe your solo is called 'keep burning' and it's contemporary. kenzie, yours is 'if the shoe fits', and you will have a prop. you will control that prop." mackenzie nodded. "paige, i'm challenging you again. you have a beautiful lyrical piece called 'inside a burning house'. the costume is gorgeous and i expect you to win."

paige nodded.

"the group dance is called 'i want it now', and we're gonna try something different. chloe, you will be the lead in this group dance." chloe beamed slightly, but her face held nerves just as well.

"maddie," the girls went quiet as abby addressed the poor girl who had forgotten her solo, "you will not be dancing this week. you will be in the group dance, i want you to focus on the group dance."

maddie nodded.

"alright, i wanna start with paige's solo. after that competition, i need to watch a dancer who wants to be here." paige looked down, a little uncomfortable with the way abby spoke about her friends. "the rest of you, i want you to go over to studio c. matt is in there ready for a quick tap class."

the girls nodded, and nobody said anything as they all filed out of the studio except paige.

"paige, i'm sorry, i hope that didn't make you uncomfortable. i want to light a fire under their butts the way i did with you so they perform better." abby explained. paige nodded.

"it did a little bit but i get it." she responded as she began to stretch.

"you've been taking more initiative lately, even now i didn't have to tell you to stretch." abby continued. "i'm very proud to you paige. the other girls are capable of more too, and they're gonna get there soon."

that made her smile.

"alright paige, let's start this solo!"