Chapter 22 - Her Defense

Ava

My heavy eyelids slowly opened up to a peeled ceiling, my head feeling extremely heavy.

It took me a little while to make sense of anything. When I did, I gasped and sat up on the white leather couch I had been lying down on. I scanned the entire room with my cautious eyes. It looked like a worn-out warehouse—completely creepy, like in the movies. The couch I was on looked new, though. It was the only thing that didn't look dirty.

"Look at that, the sleeping beauty has finally wakened up," Simon's familiar voice rang out, and I snapped my head in the direction of the door. He walked toward me with a devious smile.

"What the hell was in that lemonade you gave me?" I bellowed.

He took his sweet time to answer and sat down next to me on the couch. I shifted to the farthest corner, not wanting to stay closer to him, even for a bit. He was radiating ominous vibes.

"Haven't you figured it out yet, darling? I made that lemonade with a special medicine." It didn't take longer than a second to understand what 'medicine' he was talking about. This bastard drugged me. "You know, I was sure you would put up more protest than that to drinking something from my hand. Good thing you were angry with Ace, so it was a breeze bringing you here."

My blood boiled at his smug, lamentable voice. I had to restrain my hand from shooting out and slapping him across the face. But no, I couldn't do that. I had to get out of here on my own, and the easy way to do that was to trick Simon into believing me. I had to make him understand that this was all wrong. Worse comes to worst, I would just have to fight with him physically.

I couldn't always depend on Ace. I didn't know if he even knew I was missing or not, so I couldn't count on him to rescue me on time. I was strong, and I could definitely fight my own battles. I didn't someone else for that, especially not when that person didn't even consider me his better half, let alone like me back.

I just have to keep my calm—

"I love you, Ava," as soon as Simon said that, all my resolve to stay calm vanished into thin air.

"What the fuck are you saying, Simon? You love Liliana," I almost yelled. When he didn't dignify me with a reply, I continued, "And Liliana loves you. You two are having a baby. Are you forgetting that?"

"You are right," Simon spoke up at last. "I love Liliana, but not as much as you. Ever since I first saw you, you are all I have wanted. I want you like crazy, Ava." His eyes darkened as his gaze roved over my body.

Feeling conscious and disgusted, I fixed up my dress a little. Then I glanced back at Simon, and this time, he was a little closer to me.

"Ava, did you know you make people go horny just by one look from yours?"

I was appalled and shocked to hear those filthy words from him. I didn't realize I was about to marry such a cheap person. Thank God, I was married to Ace. At least, I knew my Ace properly.

"In case you forgot, I am married, Simon." I thought at least this would put some sense in his mind, but his next words shocked me.

"So what?"

I gaped at him. "What do you mean by so what? I am happily married, and I don't intend to cheat on my husband."

He curled his fists into a ball. "Damn that Ace! Why is he so lucky? I wanted to marry you just so I could use you as much as I want, but that Ace had me kidnapped. Now, he has you, and he can do all the stuff I wanted to do with you. That son of a—"