Chapter 36 - Disappointment

Ava

I was pacing in the hospital hallway while Ace stood leaning against the wall.

I got goosebumps every time I heard Liliana scream. Aunt Chloe was in the delivery room with Liliana. For the moment, she postponed her honeymoon with Kenji to support her daughter.

Luna, Emma, and Kenji were sitting on the bench, but I couldn't sit still.

Baby deliveries were scary and nerve-wracking. But at the same time, it was really exciting. I was going to meet a new member of our family.

But right now, nerves were more forceful. I had never been anywhere near childbirth. The way Liliana was screaming, even I was unbearable to hear it.

"Ace, is Lily going to be okay?" I asked anxiously.

Ace smiled. "I'm sure she will be fine. No, they will be fine."

"How are you so calm?"

"I'm not." He took my hand in his, and I felt his hand trembling. "I'm just hiding my anxiousness better."

That made me chuckle a little. "Usually, I'm better at that. But this is all so new to me. I'm just..."

He hummed. "What do you think of the baby's gender?" he asked to divert my attention.

Liliana hadn't told any of us what the gender of her baby was. She wanted it to be a surprise for all of us. But my gut feeling told me it was going to be a boy, and my gut feelings were always right.

"A boy, I think."

"Please, I want a nephew too. There are too many women in our family," he whined. "I need a partner in crime. Please, God, a nephew for me," he prayed dramatically. "But of course, I would love my niece just as much. Just let them be healthy."

I laughed and agreed, "Yes, it would be enough if they are sound and healthy."

After one more hour, we got to hear a baby's cry. Aunt Chloe came out briefly and said while crying, "It's a healthy baby boy!"

All of us ended up crying in happiness and relief, even Ace too. I hugged his side and cried as well.

"Once again, your gut feelings turned out right," Ace said with a small chuckle.

"I'm so happy for Lily," I murmured.

"Me too."

When the baby was cleaned, Liliana was shifted to a cabin, we were allowed to see them. Aunt Chloe was holding him in her arms. She first gave the baby to Luna who passed him to Ace.

When Ace was gently holding the baby with a fond look on his face, my heart warmed up. One day... he would be holding our baby like that.

I think I would cry in happiness when I saw that.

He would make such a wonderful father. I could already picture him reading bedtime stories to our children, trying to feed them with a baby bottle, playing with them, and so much more.

"Ava, he's so small," Ace mumbled, grinning.

I smiled, standing beside him, looking at the baby's tiny face. "Of course, he is."

"Do you want to hold him?" he asked, and I nodded excitedly.

He carefully shifted the sleeping baby to my arms. As I held the baby, a different kind of warmth flooded my chest. I already felt so connected to him. This little life was so precious.