Bonus Chapter 3 - Ava's Birthday

A/N: Thank you for the 600k reads! Here's a new bonus chapter dedicated to y'all. Don't forget to read, vote, and comment for more bonus chapters like this one!

(P.S: This was when Ava and Ace were long-distance best friends.)

Bonus Chapter 3 - Ava's Birthday

Ava

Ten minutes.

There were only ten minutes left till I turned twenty-three.

I was sitting on the gazebo's bench on the rooftop of my dad's mansion, staring up at the near midnight sky, while I heard the loud music from downstairs.

There was an outdoor party going on in the pool area and front yard, in honor of my birthday, thrown by my dad to surprise me, along with all my university and childhood friends. Despite the party being held for me, I was in no mood for it.

Even though all of my friends were there, the friend who was the most precious to me wasn't.

My best friend was busy on my birthday.

Ace always used to tell me that he was never too busy for me, and I trusted him with that. But I was proven wrong.

He was supposed to come. He said that just this morning. But only after a few hours of that, he said something urgent came up that needed his attention immediately. Living in different states and maintaining a long-distance friendship really needed a lot of patience.

I checked the time once more. There were only seven minutes left. I let out a heavy sigh and rubbed a hand over my arms. It was a little chilly as it was springtime.

Putting a stone over my heart, I had been smiling constantly since this evening. That's why I needed to catch a little breather before I could go down and flash everyone my perfect smile again. I needed to look good for my pictures, after all. Why should I let those be spoiled for Ace?

Just as I got up from the bench, I heard a distant whooshing sound. The wind started to hit my face when I noticed a chopper approaching the rooftop.

At one glance I could tell who that chopper belonged to, and all my negative feelings were blown away in a jiffy.

I remained standing in the gazebo in awe while the chopper landed on the helipad of the rooftop, drowning out all the noises from downstairs.

Once the chopper had safely landed, the door was opened by the pilot and Ace came out—looking as dashing as ever.

My heart fluttered at the sight.

He walked over to me, and just when he was near me, I crossed my arms over my chest and turned around, pretending to be angry.

"Why did you come? Didn't you say something urgent came up?" I demanded, sounding extremely hurt.

"Yeah, I said that. But I never said I wasn't going to come," Ace pointed out, with a small smile playing on his lips. "Do you honestly believe that I would ever miss your birthday?"

A huge grin threatened to form on my lips, but I still maintained my stern demeanor. "Yet, would it have hurt you to let me know of that? Do you know how upset I have been all day, thinking my best friend wouldn't come? How could you make me sad on my birthday?"

"Technically, your birthday hasn't started yet—" I cut him off.

"Don't give me the technicalities, Ace. The point is, you made me upset."

"Alright, fine." He put his hands on my shoulder and made me turn around. He looked into my eyes with sincerity. "I'm sorry, Ava." I continued to hold my act and kept pouting. "C'mon, don't stay mad. I left my work midway to come here on the jet. I even used the chopper so that I wouldn't get caught in the traffic and be late for your birthday." As I still remained nonchalant, he finally held his ears. "Forgive me, please, Ava?"

As I looked at his adorable apologetic gesture, I couldn't pretend anymore. I ended up bursting into laughter. "Ace, you're the cutest."

He narrowed his eyes on me, dropping his hands from his ears. "You were just acting until now?"

"Of course, I was. My anger melted the moment I saw your chopper approaching," I admitted.

"You're impossible, Ava," he groaned lightly.

I flipped my hair haughtily.

"I'm letting you off easy because it's your birthday."

"Excuse me, I'm the one who's letting you off easily," I corrected.

"Fine," he conceded, knowing there was no point arguing about this. Then his eyes rove over my halter-top magenta gown. "By the way, I haven't said it yet. You look drop dead gorgeous," he said with an impressed smile.

"I always look gorgeous, but thank you."

"Yes, for that reason," he took both of my hands in his, "I want to tell this gorgeous woman, happy birthday."

I smiled wholeheartedly at that, my chest warming up like it usually did whenever Ace was nearby.

"Happy birthday to my best friend who is the most amazing person I have ever met in my entire life. I'm so glad to have met you, Ava. I hope the best always comes for you." He squeezed my hands before one of his hands went inside the pocket of his coat and brought out a small box wrapped in purple.

My smile got wider as I accepted his gift. "Can I open it?"

"Of course."

I carefully tore the wrapper and opened the box, only to be surprised to find a customized diamond bracelet with my name engraved on the three small stars hanging on it.

"Wow, it's beautiful, Ace," I breathed out in awe.

"It will look more beautiful once you wear it," he said and took the box from my hand. He brought out the bracelet and carefully put it on my left wrist, while I tried not to focus on the sensations I was getting from his gentle touches. He smiled in satisfaction as he observed the bracelet on my wrist. "Perfect."

I instantly hugged him, not being able to bear the whirling emotions inside my chest, and said, "Thank you so much, Ace, for coming here, and for most of all, for coming into my life."

I could feel him smile widely as he hugged me back. "I should be the one to thank you for that."

In that brief hug, as we stood there with my heart thumping loudly in my chest, I didn't want to acknowledge the meaning behind it. After all, Ace was my best friend, and that's what we should remain, in order to stay together forever.

A/N: Please follow me, trimagical_ , if you love my novels! Have a great day!