Chapter 37 - Reconciliation

Ava

I was standing on the rooftop of the mansion with my hands on the railings, staring out at the beautiful scenario.

Tears were slipping out of my eyes.

I couldn't believe that Ace didn't want a baby. Our opinions always matched. How could such an important thing not be mutual?

Did he not feel like having a baby of his own while holding Vayden? Or was it just me? Because it's me that he doesn't want a baby?

Suddenly, there were arms wrapping around my waist from behind.

"Finally, I found you," Ace whispered, resting his chin on my shoulder. "I thought you went over to your dad's place again."

I didn't respond and sniffled.

"Ava," he called me softly.

I still refused to look at him.

"I'm so sorry, Ava. It's just... I'm not ready for a baby yet."

I took a deep breath. He was right. Of course, he didn't have to agree with all my plans. Just because he loved me didn't mean he had to do something he wasn't ready for yet. But...

"So do you want to have one in the future? Or, is it never? Or, do you not want a baby with me at all?" I questioned.

"Of course not, love. I can't imagine anyone else I would rather have a baby with. I only want to share parenthood with you and no one else," he earnestly said, and that melted my heart.

So I turned around in his arms and looked into his eyes. "Then why did you stay silent for so long? You could have said this when I brought it up. Why did you hesitate then?"

He averted his eyes again. "I was just caught off-guard, is all. I was not prepared for the topic to be brought up."

"I see." I smiled sadly. "I'm so sorry for making you uncomfortable. I should have been more cautious about my announcement. I just dropped the bomb on you—"

"Hey, it's okay. I'm your husband. You're allowed to say whatever you want. You don't have to be so cautious, and I'm glad you told me." He kissed my forehead with a sweet smile. "Also, I never really pegged you as the type who would want to be a mother.'

I arched an eyebrow at him. "Why?"

"Well, you are always busy with blogging and all. You are also assigned with Eleanor Collection's designing from now on, so you ought to be even busier than before."

I chuckled and said, "That's how much you know me?" I shook my head, feigning disappointment. "You should know by now how much I love babies."

"You're right. I was being dumb."

"Plus, Lily is a lawyer too, yet she's a mother. I'm confident that she will do a wonderful job as a mother."

"Yeah."

I tugged at his collar and said in a puppy tone, "So is it still a no?"

He looked at me with exasperation before sighing. A big smile broke out on his face. "Alright, I give up. We can start trying."

I blinked, trying to process. "Sorry, what?"

"We are going to have a baby, Ava!" he hollered, and my heart leaped in happiness.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in a deep kiss.

After we pulled back, he trailed his hand up, tugging at my bra clasp. "So do you want to start making babies now?" he asked, giving me a teasing but wanting look.

I narrowed my eyes on him.

I suddenly felt like I wanted to play hard to get.

"No, not now. I'm going to go check up on Lily and Vayden," I said and got myself out of his arms.

"What? Why?" he whined.

"Because I said so."

"You hype me up first... and you're just leaving? Just like that?"

I shot him an innocent look. "What are you talking about? I don't understand."

"C'mon, don't be like that, baby."

I giggled. "Nope. At first, I'll go check up on Lily and Vayden, then we will have dinner." He looked hopeful, but I crushed it the next moment, "I have to chat with Em and Mom individually."

Ace groaned. "What's with that long schedule? Where's your husband in that?"

"Well, he is in the last."

"Is that how much I mean to you?'

"No, I believe in saving the best for the last," I said with a grin, and he was momentarily pleased to hear that.

"But still, you can't just leave like that."

I stuck out my tongue at him and started heading to the roof exit. "See you at bedtime, Ace!"

###

I was already sitting at the dinner table when Ace arrived. He shot me a glare before sitting down next to me.

"Aww, you mad at me?" I whispered in his ear.

He turned away his head, and I chuckled lightly.

Once we started eating our food, a light conversation started going on around the table.

"Mom, I don't think you should postpone your honeymoon for me," Liliana mentioned.

"It's no problem at all," Aunt Chloe brushed it off.

"But think about Kenji," Liliana insisted.

"It's fine, really. Liliana, you don't have to worry about me," Kenji insisted. He was having dinner with us tonight.

"Still... I don't think you guys have anything to worry about. There's Aunt Luna and Ava. Even Em too. I think you should go. I would hate to hold you off on such an important part of the wedding," Liliana explained.

"That's right, Aunt Chloe. We all can manage. I also think you should go," I added. When I had gone over to Liliana's room earlier, she had mentioned it to me and had asked me to back her up.

Aunt Chloe hummed thoughtfully, then shared a glance with Kenji before nodding her head. "Alright, fine." A smile appeared on her face. "Thank you for thinking so much about us."

"Of course!" Liliana and I responded.

We resumed our dinner. I glanced at Ace who was quietly eating. A mischievous idea popped into my head.

I rested my left hand on Ace's thigh. He instantly choked on his food.

"Ace, are you okay?" Luna asked worriedly and passed him the water as she was on his other side.

Ace drank the water and glared at me sideways as he assured his mom, "Yes, I'm fine, Mom."

I kept a straight face the whole time. But it was really hard. I wanted to laugh so bad. I didn't remove my hand from his thigh for the rest of the dinner.

Once dinner was over, I was about to head to Emma's room to chat with her, but I was pulled into my bedroom while I was passing by the door.

The door closed behind me, and I was pinned against the wall. "Okay, I'm done with your torture, Ava."

I put on an innocent look. "I was torturing you? How could you say that, Ace?"

He looked at me flatly. "Drop the act, Ava." His hand sneaked under my blouse, and I shivered. "I'll ask you one more time: do you want to start making babies?"

I responded by slamming my lips against his, and he reciprocated with equal zeal.

While torturing him was fun, nothing beats the actual action. But I couldn't believe that this time we were doing it to make a baby. Our baby.