Chapter 21

The cafeteria is full of people talking and laughing. I grab a tray and follow Jordan to the cold food selection. The amount of food is making me feel nauseous - I usually don't eat anything during the day at all. Whenever I am forced to eat and sit down, I try to create a distraction or something so I don't have to eat. I take a salad thing and my favourite coffee blend before sitting down at the table with the others. I pull out the main energy tablet and quickly swallow it before picking on a piece of spinach.

"So Ziva, is there any recent cases that I should know about?" My father tries a conversation starter.

"What's going to happen to the child?" I munch on pieces of leaf.

"Well.." My father looks at me. I meet his gaze from my plate.

"No no no no no no no no noooo." I drag out my vowels. "no no no no NO." I shake my head.

"Why not?" He asks.

"First things first, you have dumped about every single child from a case onto me. I never have anytime to myself. Second, once I've had 10 kids to look after at the same time. Third, they get attached to me and its a hell of the time at the end. I'm not looking after this one." I state my points. My phone starts buzzing. Mossad county police again.

"Go." I say.

"Murder, 1 male lieutenant. By your family's memorial place Ziva."

"Thanks," I end the call and look at Jordan.

"Getting the car ready, calling Charlie and the team, grabbing all the gear and bringing them along?" He indicates towards the NCIS team.

"Good. Good. Good and ask them, they do have voices." I pat Jordan on the shoulder.

"Let's go." I announce. We all make our way to the cars, excluding my father of course. I keep my foot pressed down to the gas pedal until we reach the area. The area where my sister and mother lay in black insulated bags. The area where the burnt out coach lays. I slowly swing my legs out the car door and stuff my hands in my hoodie pockets. The body lays a couple of meters away from the edge of the hidden walkway I made that leads down to the bottom. The area reminds me of the Grand Canyon. I shuffle over to a single silver bannister and clench my hand over the bar until my fingers are white. Memories come flooding back to me and I squeeze harder onto the pole, closing my eyes shut.

"Is she alright?" Someone asks.

"She's fine, give her a moment." I hear Coco answer. I open my eyes and kick the bar in frustration. I take 2 steps to reach the body where everyone else is.

"Someone tell me something." I ask my team.

"Um.... giraffes have long necks." Chummy supplies.

"Oh god. Rica tell me something useful BEFORE I have a mental breakdown." My voice goes a bit high at the end.

"Er... he didn't kill himself?" She says but it sounds like more of a question.

"Oh god." I drop onto my knees. "if he would have wanted to commit suicide, he would have thrown himself off there. He didn't stab himself or OD on drugs because i can't smell the metal of a knife or the odour of drugs. Possible gunshot wound to the chest, immediately causing dramatic blood loss and damage of the internal organs. suspected second shot to the heart was fatal and then once again to make sure he's dead." I say this with my eyes closed. I open my eyes again and look at Jordan.

"Looking for shell casings and any prints with Coco." He says and drags her off.

"Chummy can you please get full background on this guy, I want to know everything about him. Rica pictures and sketch." I order my team.

"Yes boss." They say and depart.

"Correct cause of death Dav-eeeeeed." Charlie drags out my name.

"Good." I stand up and brush the sand off my leggings.

"I'm not sure about his blood samples." She looks at me worriedly.

"How about you ask Dr Mallard and Miss Scuito as they have more expertise in that area of murder." I try to get everyone involved.

"Ok, I think Rica's confused Ziva," she nods to Rica who keeps looking at the sky and then the floor repeatedly. I nod and walk off to Rica.

"You alright?" I ask her.

"What-sorry I was thinking about something." She looks up startled. I raise an eyebrow.
"Truth- I wasn't thinking about the case I was thinking geek language. How the computer built a prototype for a simul-" She starts.

"Woah stop, I don't talk geek. But Agent McGee does if you want to go talk to him." I send her on her way. I lean across the bannister looking down onto the various black body bags.
"Miss you guys," I whisper.

"I know you do." A voice says behind me. Tony.