Chapter Sixteen

"You're everywhere except right here and it hurts."

- Rupi Kaur

Luna's POV

One Year Later

"Alright everyone, please look over chapters thirteen through sixteen tonight. Familiarise yourself with the content. We'll be going over that tomorrow, so make sure you're prepared. Enjoy the rest of your day, everyone!" With that final note, my last lecture of the day ends and I shut my laptop, quickly putting away all my things.

"Four chapters? I have so much reading to do tonight." Jackson groans from beside me, busy packing away his things as well.

I smile, shoving my laptop into my tote bag and hooking it over my arm to rest on my shoulder. "We all do, Jack. Come on, this is our second year, you should be used to this by now."

He rolls his eyes, standing up at the same time I do as we start filing out of the lecture hall. "Doesn't make it any better. Law fúcking sucks."

"No one's stopping you from changing courses. It's never too late to change your mind." I tell him for what feels like the thousandth time. I swear every lecture I have with him, we have this same conversation.

"You're forgetting about my two lawyer parents. Now that I'm here, I'm totally stuck here." He holds the door open for me and I walk through, waiting for him outside the door because he gets stuck holding it open for the next six people as well.

Finally he walks through, returning to my side as we walk do the hall. I shake my head at him. "That doesn't mean you have to do law. Sure, they might be disappointed, but it's your life. You don't want to spend the next fifty years doing something you don't even like."

He hangs his head back with another groan, "I do like it though. I just hate the reading."

And that's where he loses me. I've always been a reader. Reading for school can be a pain in the ass, but it's not the worst thing in the world. "Find an audiobook version of the textbook or something then," I roll my eyes as we step outside, "Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Why don't we grab some lunch? If you're not doing anything right now." He offers and I see the glimmer of hope in his eyes. That same hope that's always there when he asks me to join him for lunch or to study.

"I can't today, sorry. I've already made plans to meet up with my best friend Alana for lunch. Rain-check?" I offer half-heartedly.

He nods, deflating a little. "Sure, Luna. See you later," He steps closer and gives me a side-hug that I quickly return before pulling away.

"Later, Jackson," I wave to him before turning and heading off in the direction of the subway station. I take the familiar route to Alana and I's favourite restaurant in town. It's on the cheaper side with the most amazing Mexican food.

I walk inside the restaurant and find her sitting at our usual table at the back. One time we came here and someone was already sitting at that table. This was after sitting there at least twice a week for months. We quite literally stood there and stared at them in shock for a minute, not knowing what to do. They probably thought we were weird, but oh well. Luckily, that's never been a problem since.