Chapter - 62 Anguish

Avneet's eyes watered hearing Siddharth's words. Reality came crashing down over her. Her heart dropped to the pit of her stomach creating a hollow ache in her heart. 'T-the contract is over? How..?' she thought as sorrow settled heavily on her chest.

Her heart simply couldn’t accept the truth. The thing that had them bind together for such a long time, the contract, had ended. She couldn’t control the desolation she felt at the moment.

Yes, she didn’t want a bodyguard at first, but no one warned her about the emotional attachment that was to tie their souls. As she gazed into his saddened eyes, she wanted to run and throw herself in his arms and shut off the world around them.

She felt very lost at the moment. He was like the wall she always leaned on whenever she became overwhelmed with her emotions. He'd always hold her tightly, muttering sweet encouraging words to her.

'Who will hold me now?' she asked herself, suddenly feeling extremely lonely and vulnerable. She subconsciously wrapped the uninjured arm around herself and dropped her watery eyes at the floor.

Siddharth couldn’t do anything except watch the hurt and pained expressions taking over her beautiful face. Fear of uncertainty clouded over her heart as she wrapped her uninjured arm around herself and dropped her gaze to the ground, defeated.

As soon as his family entered the cabin, Siddharth felt dread. He didn’t show it in his face but he knew exactly what that meant.

Classified information could only be shared outside when the contract gets nullified or completed. He realised that he had only a little amount of time with his Avneet. And that was why he didn’t bother releasing her from his hold. It was just an excuse to steal more time to savour the feeling of Avneet in his arms.

His heart broke seeing the crushed look on her face. A painful knot formed in his chest when he saw the way she hugged herself, knowing she only did that whenever she felt dejected and lonely.

He wanted to rush to her, hold her and kiss her. He wanted to say 'please don't feel sad. Our contract must have ended, but my love for you is infinite.' He felt desperate to get rid of the self-conscious thoughts from her mind. But before he could utter a word, the door opened from another person's presence.

"I hope I'm not too late," a familiar voice rang out. Recognising the voice, Avneet turned around quickly. Her already tearful eyes broke the dam and she lunged herself at her dad. Seeking protection and warmth that Siddharth couldn’t provide at the moment.

Siddharth's jaw clenched. He fisted his palms tightly. He decided to hide their relationship. And he had been regretting that ever since. He wanted to reach out to her and give all the love and protection she needed and steal her away from the world.

"How are you, my princess?" Mr Nandra asked warmly holding his daughter to his chest as his worried eyes searched for discomfort on her face.

Avneet wasn’t sure how she felt at the moment. She was happy with the familiar hold of her dad but the sadness she felt overwhelmed her senses as tears kept rolling down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry for being so late, princess. I've come to take you home," he said gently kissing her forehead. Siddharth tensed immediately. He wasn’t ready. 'She couldn’t go.' he thought alarmed. His heartbeat sped up in panic. He could feel himself sweating. 

"I-it’s o-okay, dad." Avneet sniffled wiping her tears away. All the while she had forgotten the people around her. She looked at them and felt guilty seeing the awkward expression on their faces. Even Vansh was hiding behind his mother's legs, peeking at her with his big confused hazel brown eyes.