Special Chapter

Author's Note: Dear readers, I know the feeling of finishing a book and feeling as if you've lost someone. No matter how many times you reread it, you will always get the same amount of information. You'll never know what the characters are up to, what they had for dinner, how they're hanging on in life. This is my gift to you, a special chapter to satisfy our Philodemus cravings, just enough to tame us. Of course, the special chapter from the physical book is different and will remain exclusive to the book owners. This one... well, it's for everyone.

Enjoy.

Special Chapter

"Shortie, are you almost done?"

"Just a minute!" she yelled through the closed door. I stood still, restraining myself from pacing back and forth. She's spent half an hour inside the bathroom without my "assistance" because she wanted a me time and every now and then, I'd check on her, worried she might slip or hurt herself.

I've been looking out for her my entire life, but now with her swollen belly and our baby in her 8th month, I've never been more scared.

Rinig ko ang lagaslas ng tubig sa loob kaya't inakay ko nalang ang sarili palayo sa pinto ng banyo at muling binalingan ang inihanda niyang mga damit sa kama. A bone-white silk night dress with pink laces and a matching white robe. I smirked. She'd look ethereal in it.

"Maybe I need some vodka," I muttered to myself and went out to pour myself one. Mabilis lang iyon at kaagad akong bumalik, lalo na nang marinig ko ang ingay niya sa loob.

"Philodemus?" she called.

I entered the room and saw her stepping out of the bathroom, wet and lavender fresh and achingly beautiful. Her cheeks flushed from the hot water while her brown hair framed her lovely face. She looked up at me through her lashes and smiled.

"Were you waiting for me?"

I tightened my grip around my glass and walked towards her, heart pounding. "My whole life, Shortie." I whispered and crouched a bit to give her a kiss. She tastes like strawberry.

Stormie peeled away from me and giggled, placing one hand to support her belly as she walked very slowly to the bed.

"Can you help me get dressed?" she asked.

I nodded and went towards her. Inalalayan ko siyang maupo sa kama. She winced. I winced, too. I could tell that this pregnancy is a lot harder to her compared to normal, healthy women but she's trying her best to put on an I'm-okay show so I wouldn't worry. Or anyone.

But she's my wife. I know her. She winces for back pain in the middle of the night and would press a knuckle against her mouth to shut the noise. Stormie doesn't drink any pain killers, in fear that it would affect our baby. The tramadol that her mother gave her long ago had done enough damage to her body and if she's not careful, it could come back in big waves. She doesn't want it to come back with our baby still inside her.

As much as I adore her grit, it also makes me upset. I'm her husband. Why wouldn't she tell me? If there's anything I can do to make her feel better, I will. Stormie just have to name it. I would move the fucking mountains if it means comfort to her and my child.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm okay—"

"Please." My voice is hoarse from the vodka, or from the pain in seeing her going through so much. "Just tell me. I'm not your neighbor, Stormie. I'm not a stranger. I'm certainly not your friend," I said darkly, leveling my eyes to her. "I'm your husband, Shortie. Husband. Please, do tell."

Tumahimik siya at nag-iwas ng tingin. I hated seeing her lovely face contort in painful emotions because I vowed to her on our wedding day that she'll never have to go through so much pain again while she's with me. I don't have any intentions of breaking my vow.