Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Maaga kaming nagpunta sa sementeryo kinabukasan. I found out that my father is buried next to my Abuela. I brought three flower sets as I planned to visit Zechariah's tomb, too. Matagal na panahon na din ang nakalipas nang dalawin ko ang kaibigan.

Philodemus trailed after me. We were both wearing matching white button down shirts and dark sunglasses. Tomorrow, we will be back to Manila. They have to rehearse and I have to finish my shootings. Instead of wallowing in pain, I have no other choice but to face the reality.

"There it is..." I said and fastened my pace when I saw the familiar tomb of my Abuela from a distance. My heart constricted in pain when I caught sight of my father's tomb for the first time.

I choked on a sob. Inilapag ko ang bulaklak na binili at sumunod naman si Philodemus sa akin. He placed the flower set to my Abuela's tomb. Tahimik lang ako habang siya naman ay sinisindihan ang kandilang binili din namin kanina.

"I still can't believe it..." I said in a whisper. Huminga ako nang malalim. I blinked back the tears and traced the cursive name of my father. "He's gone all along. Wala man lang akong kaalam-alam..."

Philodemus gently placed the candle on atop his tomb and placed one for my Abuela, too. Then he pulled me closer and kissed the side of my temple.

"It's not your fault, Stormie. My parents knew about his death and assumed that you have been informed, too. I didn't think that your mother would actually hide it from you."

I bit my lower lips as tears blurred my eyes. Hinawakan ko ulit ang puntod ni Dad. He's buried six feet underground now. My gentle touch to the cemented tomb will do nothing to reach him. Ikinuyom ko ang mga kamao.

Dad, ano pong nangyari? Bakit sobrang biglaan naman? Ang sabi ni Shantel ayos ka pa, ah?

"Shortie..."

Nanginig ang mga balikat ko sa sobrang pagpipigil ko ng mga luha. I sucked in a deep breath and leaned against him. Sinulyapan ko ang puntod ni Abuela. A bitter smile spread on my lips.

At least I had been there for her on the last days she spent on her. I have a memory of gripping her bony fingers and whispering to her, assuring her, that I'll be fine and she can rest in peace. At least I was still able to give her one last kiss before she let go of her breath.

But my Dad...

Wala man lang paalam. The last talk we had was a quiet conversation of him apologizing to everything he did and he didn't do to me. The last time I was called mija by my father.

"Stormie..."

My lips trembled. Kahit anong gawin kong kontrol sa emosyon ko ay wala din naman akong magagawa. I always get outsmarted by my own damn feelings.

"Let's go find Zec's grave..." I whispered and pulled myself up. Tumango si Philodemus at binitbit ang natitirang bulaklak. He pulled me closer and hand by hand, we walked to the other side of the cemetery.

Malayo pa lang ay nakikita ko na ang pamilyar na bulto ng isang lalaki. He's crouching in front of my best friend's tomb with a little girl playing with his hair. I squinted my eyes to get a clearer view of his face.

"Allen?"

Nilingon niya ako. Rumehistro ang pagkagulat sa mukha niya nang makita kaming dalawa ni Philodemus. Tumayo siya at sinalubong kami.

"Stormie.... Philodemus!"

I pulled him into a hug. Philodemus and Allen exchanged a friendly shake. I smiled at him.