Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Trust is a sine qua non for a long-lasting relationship.

I closed my eyes and curled up in the sofa, feeling so miserable. The conversation with Dr. Crisostomo has drained me and I have never felt so agitated waiting for my lab results.

Taj and Tank chased each other and trailed after my feet. Matamlay akong naupo sa couch at isinandal ang likod ng leeg sa backrest. I gazed ceilingward as my thoughts drifted apart.

Hanggang ngayon ay nag-iinit pa rin ang sulok ng mga mata ko sa tuwing naiisip ko ang ginawa ni Mommy sa akin. It's just so... cruel. I'm her daughter, right? No matter how she hates me, she still gave birth to me. We're still blood.

Taj pulled the ends of my cotton pajamas. Napatingin ako sa kaniya. The snow-coated pup wagged his tail and stared lovingly at me. Sa kanilang dalawa ni Tank ay si Taj ang mas malambing. He always wants to be carried and always trails after me if he's not chasing his brother.

I picked up Taj and placed him on my lap while Tank is busy ruining the Oriental rug on the floor. I didn't even have the energy to stop him. Habang hinahaplos ko ang ulo ni Taj ay dumako ang tingin ko sa CD rack sa tabi ng TV station.

Inilapag ko muna si Taj at tumayo. I caught glimpse of the familiar image that had been embedded in my mind a long time ago. Tinitigan ko ang album ng Memento Mori. The black and white photo of my thighs and Philodemus' strong, lean hands. Emotions surged my chest as I continue to stare at the album.

Bumalik ako sa couch nang hindi tinatanggal ang tingin sa album. I sat and Taj automatically curled against me. Flipping the album, my eyes scanned the titles of the songs.

[TEMPESTAS]

Young Lana

That Pink Uniform

Love, Don't Cry

You Are My Religion

Eudaimonia

Die With Me

She Tastes Like Sugar and Berry

If I'm Gonna Be Toxic, Let It Be With You

Pravaedo

My heart pounded wildly. Taj licked my other arm. Napatingin ako sa kaniya. He sniffed me for a bit before he laid on his stomach, asking for a belly rub. I chuckled softly and granted his wishes. I gently caressed his soft belly and gazed at the album in my hands again.

The Tempestas album is playing when Philodemus got home that night. I was sprawled on the couch, with Taj on my side, as I tried to calm myself. I heard his heavy boots tapping the floor and announcing everyone of his mighty presence.

A shadow fell on me as Philodemus placed his hands on the backrest of the sofa and peered at me. He rose an eyebrow upon seeing me and Taj looking like miserable idiots.

"No work today, love?"

"I took the day off."

Raising one powerful leg over the couch, he effortlessly lifted himself and plopped on the upholstered pads. His sudden weight made Taj jumped in surprise, before he wagged his tail in acknowledgement and sleepily dragged himself to the floor.

"Why?" he unconsciously toyed with the bracelet he gave me and then lifted my knuckles to his lips. "Are you sick?"

I hope not.

"No. I just... I wanted to take a break."

He gazed at me darkly, before he slowly nodded his head. By now I think he's thinking about all the things that might bother me, but he kept his mouth shut and chose his words carefully.