Prologue

Prologue

Once you are captivated by the voice, the rest of your body will follow the source.

I find it hard to tear my gaze from the man in front of the small crowd. The ice is starting to melt on the drink I ignored earlier when he occupied the stage with his guitar and sat on the high stool chair.

"Stormie..."

I glanced at my friend, Zechariah, whose cheeks are flushing red right now because of couple of drinks she feasted on earlier.

"Your body is a wonderland... your body is a wonderland, I use my hands..."

His cold, baritone voice soothed the crowd. Most of the girls sighed at his singing, and some are now starting to take pictures of him.

I continued staring at him. He has a very prominent nose, and the rest of his facial features says he's got foreign blood running in his veins. Pale Caucasian skin, long legs, and long slender fingers that gracefully plucks his guitar.

He's like a local celebrity.

Inipit ko ang pang-ibabang labi gamit ang aking ngipin at muling tumitig sa kaniya. The melted ice made my appetite evaporate into thin air. Hindi ko na iyon pinansin at hinayaang magtubig ang baso.

"Uwi na tayo, Zec..." wika ko at marahang tinabig ang braso ng kaibigan.

She only grunted in response. Zechariah planted her face on the wooden table and snorted.

"Zec..." I groaned as well. "I knew this one is a really, really bad idea."

I blew on the hair that tickles my cheeks. The white bodycon dress I am wearing is like a second skin and if not for the cropped denim jacket, I would've felt very naked right now.

"What?" tinaasan ako ng kilay ni Zechariah. "You're starting to doubt my capabilities of creating a fake ID?"

Halakhak ang sagot ko sa kaniya. Zec thinks that we should celebrate the end of the semi-finals exam into going to our local bar with fake ID's and wearing stilettos.

"Damn baby, you frustrate me... I know you're all mine, all mine, all mine... but you look so good it hurts sometimes..."

Kinilabutan ako sa boses niya. Ang mga babae sa likuran namin ay impit na nagtilian dahil sa lamig ng kaniyang boses na kumakanta ng isang sensuwal na kanta. Bumaba ang tingin ko sa manipis niyang mga labi at seryosong mga mata na nakatitig na ngayon sa madla.

"Ikukuha kita ng mainit na tubig..." wika ko sa kaibigan.

Zechariah chuckled. "Damn, Stormie. We're in a bar! Walang mainit na tubig dito..." natatawa pa nitong wika.

Ngumuso ako. "Magtatanong ako sa bartender..."

I pulled myself up, despite my friend's weak protest. The bar is small, but it's packed. It is a local bar near the university that we decided to sneak into. The walls are made of polished wood, with few art paintings hung on the wall, and all the chairs and tables are made of wood too. The bar is one of the few things that are constructed with metals and behind the busy bartender is a ray of different drinks and cocktails.

"Excuse me..." mahina kong tawag sa bartender.

The man stopped singing. Masigabong palakpakan ang natanggap niya mula sa nanunuod sa kaniya, dahilan upang mapatingin ako sa kaniya. His jean-clad muscled legs moved a bit, before he got up from his seat and placed his guitar on the case.

Pinanuod ko siya, just like everyone else who are watching him with hawk-like eyes. I found myself thirsty of his voice, now that he had stopped singing. May iilang babae ang lumapit sa kaniya at nahihiyang nagpapicture.