Epilogue

Tbh, I stopped caring about the read counts a long time ago. I could finish a book with just 10k reads and I'd still be glad. So thank you for your messages. I'm still growing as a writer, we all are. I hope you enjoyed reading Philo and Stormie's story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Thank you, langga!

-H

#HLOMN

---

Epilogue

A peaceful night meant staying inside our cabin in a cold night, sipping my mother's hot chocolate and watching her dance with my father's song. The wind that streamed through the open windows is crisp and warm, with no hint of danger. It carried the promise of quietness and solitude.

Everything was perfect, until they came...

I was too young to understand what was happening, but as soon as a heavily-tinted SUV parked in front of our cabin and the engine died, Mother looked at me as fear started to crept up on her face.

"Lia, itago mo si Philo sa kwarto..." kalmadong wika ng aking ama, matapos silipin ang bago naming bisita.

My mother made no protests as she grabbed me by the arm and dragged me to the room with her trembling hands. I spilled my hot choco on the sweatshirt I am wearing, and was about to open my mouth in protest when she crouched in front of me and cupped both of my cheeks.

"Listen very well, Philodemus..." fear pooled in her eyes. She flinched when she heard muffled voices outside, of older men arguing and heavy footsteps pounding on our wooden floor. "No matter what happens, do not come outside of the closet, okay?"

"Okay."

"Do you understand?"

"I understand."

She nodded and kissed me hard on my forehead before she ushered me towards the huge cabinet. Nag-aalinlangan akong pumasok. In the end, my mother pushed me inside just as we both heard a gunshot echoing inside the house.

"Philippe!" my mother screamed and slammed the door shut. Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead as the door to our bedroom was kicked open. Rinig ko ang malakas na pagsigaw ni Mama nang itutok sa kaniya ng lalaki ang isang baril at walang pag-aalinlangang ipinutok ito.

My mother fell dead on the wooden floor, with her eyes still wide in shock and fear. The man stepped inside the dark room. I squinted my eyes as my knees trembled. I can't see the man's face but I caught glimpse of the gold chain around his neck...with a crucifix pendant.

Ironic how a man with such religious jewel can pull the trigger of the gun so easily and kill my parents. I stayed inside the closet as the night passed until the morning came and greeted me with the reality that both my parents are dead.

"Philodemus..." Sidra Treveron squeezed my hands as we both stepped inside a large mansion. "Simula ngayon dito ka na titira."

Hindi ako sumagot. Iginala ko lang ang paningin ko sa malaki nilang bahay pagkatapos ay sinulyapan ang matalik na kaibigan ni Papa, si Antonio Treveron.

"My parents... were they killed?"

Nagkatinginan ang mag-asawa. A painful expression crossed over the elegant woman's face before she crouched in front of me, reminding me of my late mother, and then hugged me.

"We'll take care of you from now on. Isa ka ng Treveron."

I pursed my lips as hatred enveloped my young heart. Murder had been defined to me at the age of 6. And four years later, I learned of the word vendetta.