Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Buti naman naisipan mo pang umuwi..." my mother said cattily, eyeing me like a hawk over her teacup.

I tried not to exhale a tired sigh. It was one heck of a travel from Manila to La Union in short notice. Philodemus tried to come with me and cancel his morning show but I didn't allowed him to. Muntik pang mauwi sa away ang pagpupumilit niyang samahan ako sa pag-uwi sa La Union nang mabalitaan kong inatake si Dad.

"Mommy..." I said silently and nodded at her, but dare not approach and give her a kiss. Hindi naman siya ang ipinunta ko dito.

My gaze roamed around the mansion. Denver sent with me my two bodyguards to accompany me. Siya na din ang bahalang magpaliwanag sa direktor na hindi muna ako makakadalo sa shooting ngayon dahil sa emergency na ito.

Leonora Roman elegantly set her teacup and pulled herself up. Inignora ko siya at hinanap ng mga mata ko si Shantel. She'd called me earlier and said she'll be there at the house to welcome me.

"Your father's resting at his room. If you're going to talk to him, try to make it short. He needs some rest and I'm not quite sure he wants to see your face after disappearing from this family for years."

I gritted my teeth. Me ignoring her intensified her anger. I could hear the stabbing clicks of her heels. Bago pa man niya ako mahabol ay bumukas ang pintuan sa kwarto ni Shantel at iniluwa siya nito.

Her eyes widened when she saw me.

"Stormie!"

Within seconds, I was engulfed by a tight embrace of my sister. Mother abandoned her plan to attack me and walked away, scoffing to herself. Inignora ko pa rin siya at hinarap ang kakambal.

I smiled at her. "How are you?"

"Law school is proving more and more complicated..." she sighed and adjusted her eyeglasses before smiling back at me. "But I'm okay."

"What happened to Dad?" diretsahan kong tanong sa kaniya.

Her lips went into a thin line. Tahimik niya akong iginiya patungo sa kwarto ng mga magulang ko. I knocked softly before entering. Napalingon sa akin ang private nurse na inaasikaso ang kaniyang dextrose at ngumiti nang banayad.

"You must be Stormie?"

I nodded my head. My heart ached at the sight of my father. The once powerful Joachim Roman had fallen ill on his bed. Payat na payat na ito ngayon at halos hindi ko na makilala. Ang mabuto niyang mga kamay ay nakahimlay sa kaniyang tiyan. Mabagal at mabibigat ang kaniyang paghinga.

"What happened to him?" I almost whispered. Nangingilid na ang mga luha kong lumapit sa kaniya. I've seen pictures of him a couple of months ago, in a social gathering. Malusog pa siya noon. Bakit biglang bumagsak nalang ang kalusugan niya ngayon?

"Your father had a mild stroke. He was paralyzed for a few days but now he's starting to gain his senses."

"I called you earlier because Dad suddenly stopped breathing..." murmured Shantel. "Natakot lang ako."

I nodded in understanding at her before I turned to my father with tears brimming my eyes. I heard the door opened and mother entered.

"You can go now, Stormie, now that you've seen your father. Let's give him some privacy..."

Throwing one last sorrowful look at my unconscious Dad, I dragged myself away from him. Tumango din ang nurse, sang-ayon sa sinabi ni mommy na kailangan niya munang magpahinga.

Pagod akong sumunod sa kanilang dalawa palabas ng kwarto. Mother rosed an eyebrow at me. I stared back at her.

Wala pa ring pinagbago. She's still as beautiful as ever. Mother managed to maintain her looks over the past few years. She looks half her age while my father looks twice his age. Sumasakit ang dibdib ko sa tuwing naiisip ito.