𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓮

"𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓲𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝓵, 𝔀𝓱𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔀𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓲𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓸𝓻 𝓷𝓸𝓽

"𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓲𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝓵, 𝔀𝓱𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔀𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓲𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓸𝓻 𝓷𝓸𝓽."

~𝓢𝓽𝓮𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓷 𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓰, 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓖𝓻𝓮𝓮𝓷 𝓜𝓲𝓵𝓮

Time certainly is a peculiar thing.
Weeks can go by in what feels like seconds and yet a single moment might last forever.

Time can't be kept at bay and when you need it the most it runs through your fingers like fine sand.
And right now, my time has shifted from old honey to finely powdered sugar.

"A precise man, your brother."

"Is my adding up right?"

How have I not noticed that Grace was already so involved in Arthur's papers….
After what happened at the boutique with Officer Campbell a while ago, I had thought about him and Grace a lot.
Grace has become an incredibly good friend to me, even though I thought that she was just using me in the beginning, I've become quite comfortable around her.
For a while already I have been playing around with the thought of preventing her betrayal.
Maybe I could get her to stop working for Campbell somehow. Or I could-

"It is now."

Before one of them could come outside, I knocked at the door and didn't wait for a response, before opening it wide.

"Hey Arthur, I'm watching the- Oh, hello Grace, what are you doing in here?" 

Even though I knew she would come up with a believable excuse, it still shocked me a little, how she could look me straight in the eyes and lie with an unbothered smile on her lips.

"I was just telling Arthur that the cigarettes that just came in, smell rotten. Have a nice day, Annie."

The words left her lips so smoothly, for a second I wasn't sure if she was actually lying.

She moved past me and as soon as the door fell shut behind her, I turned back towards Arthur, who was already pouring himself another glass of whiskey.

"You shouldn't trust her with all this stuff."

The eldest Shelby almost dropped said bottle as he realised that I knew what he and Grace had talked about.

"And you shouldn't eavesdrop. Besides, aren't you two friends?"

Pff, that wasn't eavesdropping, that was simply.. waiting for the right moment to enter a room and coincidentally inquiring about certain information.

"Uhm, well yes, but that doesn't change the fact that Tommy wouldn't like having a stranger stick their nose into his business."

Arthur only gave me a doubtful raise of an eyebrow until I cracked.