The Exchange

Novanni's pov. . .

I was walking home in the rain. It was raining quite hard, so hard that my entire uniform was soaked along with my hair that was frizzy. I could see little puddles being form from so much rain coming out of the sky. My body was shaking from the crazy wind that push body backward but the strength of my legs kept me moving forward.

I am so cold.

I don't have a jacket on because the weather man said it wasn't suppose to rain today but I guess the weather decided to play tricks on him and rain. It was gloomy. The sky look so gray and there wasn't an ounce of sunlight nowhere. My fingers felt so numb that it actually hurt to move them and my back ache from carrying my heavy book bag. My legs felt so weak that it felt like I could just drop to the ground and my toes were so cold even with my shoes on.

I look up to see my brown house in view. There was a black car in the drive way so I take it my parents are home. Only a few more steps and I'll be there. My chest hurt so bad, it felt like something heavy was on it. I finally made it to the three steps of my house and once I finally got to the front door I instantly drop my bag on the ground. I did a big exhale before bending down to grab my key but pain instantly shot up from my lower back and I groaned, slightly whine in pain. I slowly bent down this time to grab my key out the small pocket of my book bag before entering it in the key hole then turn it to the right to unlock it. I placed my key back where it was then grabbed my backpack before walking through the front door and I instantly felt my stomach drop.

My dad was sitting in the living room with a beer in his hand watching TV with my mom sitting beside him and she seem to be sleeping. My dad and I instantly make eye contact but I quickly broke it. I untie my shoes, leaving them by the door then tried to go upstairs but my dad called my name.

"Novanni come here", he demanded.

My hands were a little shaky as I take my book bag off to leave it on the steps.

"Uh uh bring yo bag. I know those grades came out today", he said and I wanted to cry.

My heart was beating so hard that I could hear it in my ears as I walk closer to my dad with my book bag in hand. I look on the table to find a syringe with some liquid inside of it and a small bag that had white stuff in it. He always buys it after he gets off work. Sometimes I caught him and my mom putting there nose to it and sniff it, then they instantly fall back and they will smile every once in the while.

My dad snatch my bag out my hands as I stand in front him wet and cold.

He search through my bag until he pulled out a folded white piece paper that had my grades on it. He open it while sipping his beer before he put the bottle on the table. I saw his eyes slowly scanned down until they stop and my fear grew. I know he saw it. He placed the paper on the table than I heard him chuckling.

Smack!

It happen so fast. The stinging pain on my cheek cause tears to form in my eyes as my faced turned. I look to my momma to find her eyes already closed with her head resting back on the couch.

"I bet not hear a sound of you and look at me", he said grabbing my jaw.

"Lil boy I ain't raising no dummies explain to me why you gotta C in science?", he asked tightening his grip on my jaw causing me to whimper.