Part 2

Lisa

I was at my desk,working on an email, when my office line began to ring. I checked the screen at the top of the phone and saw that it was my assistant calling, so I hit the Speaker button and said, "Yes?"

"Everything is all set up, Ms. Manoban. I've spoken with my contacts in both of the places that we discussed, and they promise to give you whatever information you want."

I pulled back the black diamond cuff link to check my watch. The platinum hands on the Rolex showed it would be several more hours until her contacts needed to come through. If they didn't, they weren't getting a dime from me. Neither was my assistant because her ass would be fired by the morning.

"I want to be notified the second your contacts hear or see anything. Do you hear me?"

"My phone won't be leaving my hand until you get what you're looking for."

I took my fingers off the keyboard and looked toward my office door where I knew she was sitting only a few feet away. "Mina?"

"Yes, Ms. Manoban?"

"Don't fuck this up."

I hung up, and my inbox showed a new email had come through. It was from my client, Jayson Brady, one of the owners of Entertainment Management Worldwide, who was in the process of partnering with The Agency.

Lisa,

Do whatever you have to do to get this deal done. I want the terms agreed upon and the contract signed by next week.

—Jayson

I had a week.

So, it was a good thing I had a hell of a plan.

Jayson, Blake, and Shane had known what they were doing when they hired me.

They wanted the best.

And that was what they were getting.

* * *

Six hours later, I was in the private restroom in my office, putting on the gray suit my assistant had picked out. Once I had my shirt tucked in and a tie resting down my chest, I took in the whole outfit.

Jesus Christ.

Fucking twenty-something-year-olds.

They didn't know anything about men's fashion.

If I asked Mina how to post on a goddamn social media site, she'd have that handled in seconds. But ask her to match a suit and tie, and you'd think she was fucking color blind.

Shaking my head, I said to her, "Give me a better tie," while she stood outside my door. "The one you chose looks like shit with the gray."

"How about—"

"Give me a black one," I said, cutting her off.

The door opened, and she handed me a solid black tie made of silk.

I wrapped it around my neck, and after approving of the way it looked, I got started on the Windsor knot.

"The SUV has arrived," she said from the doorway. "I'm just waiting for confirmation from my contacts, and then you'll be on your way."

I was staring at her from the mirror, watching her shift her weight between both feet, her hands fidgeting at her sides.

This was the part of her job she didn't like.

The things that happened off the clock.

Still, she was a decent assistant. She just couldn't hide her emotions, so it was a good fucking thing I never had to bring her to the courtroom.

I checked the time on my wrist. "I can't believe your contacts don't know anything yet. It's almost nine o'clock."

She pointed at the cell phone that she was squeezing between her fingers. "I'll call them again. Can I get you anything before I close this door?"

"You can hurry up."

As she left, I finished looping my tie through, and then I slipped on my jacket. I took a few steps closer to the mirror and checked my hair, making sure the gel was where it needed to be and that my stubble wasn't longer than a day's worth. I grabbed some cologne off the shelf and sprayed my neck. Just as I was setting it back, there was a knock at the door.

Mina opened it and said, "Here's the address, Ms.Manoban" She held out her hand, and there was a small piece of paper resting on her palm.

I took it from her and read what she had written, eventually glancing up. "This can't be right."

"My contacts verified it."

The address wouldn't be known by everyone. But I'd lived in LA for the twenty-eight years I'd been alive, so I knew what went down in this town. And I knew what went down at 555 Pine Street.

"Do you know what this place is?" I asked.

She nodded; her expression told me she wasn't comfortable discussing it. "Will you be able to get in, or do I need to make a phone call?"

Even though I knew all about it, I'd never been inside.

"Make the phone call," I told her. "But make sure you speak to Irene. She'll get things handled."

Her cheeks flushed.

She wanted to die of embarrassment.

It was also a good thing that I didn't find her attractive because she'd never survive in my bedroom.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," she said.

As she shut the door, I went over to the toilet and dropped the piece of paper into the water. The blue ink ran and swirled around the bowl as I flushed it.

The last fucking thing I needed was someone to see that in my trash and spread rumors all over town.

But what I'd done stopped that, and the trail ended here since my assistant, her contacts, and anyone at 555 Pine Street were under contract and couldn't say anything.

I stepped out of the restroom, and as I was moving toward the closet, Mina came into my office.

"I paid the fee and gave them all the information they'd asked for. When you get there, you're going to have to sign an NDA. Other than that, you're all set." Her skin was even redder. "Is there anything else you need, Ms. Manoban?"

"Go home." When she started following my instruction, I added, "You did good today."

She dipped her head and closed the door behind her.

555 Pine Street, I thought.

This wasn't how I'd thought I'd be spending my night.

But, fuck, I couldn't have planned it any better.