Part 16

Jennie

I'd spenta little over a week in LA, and when it was time to go back to Miami, I found myself dreading the flight. I wasn't sure I would have felt that way a year ago. But so much had changed, and there really was a need for me to be in California.

Our plan was to combine both LA offices. Since the one we had opened was larger, Entertainment Management Worldwide was going to move in with us. And, because we were acquiring a third location in Manhattan, it made sense for each coast to have their own finance department.

Every day that passed, I thought more and more that I should be the one running that department in LA.

The move was something I planned on discussing with Jisoo when I went to her place for breakfast.

I'd known Jisoo since college. We'd roomed together our freshman year, and we'd stayed close. When she'd opened the second location in Miami and started spending more time here, our friendship had grown even stronger. Out of all the women I'd met in LA and South Florida, Jisoo was the only one I could call a best friend. And she was the only person I could be completely honest with because she knew this part of my life.

Because it was the morning and midweek, Jisoo was at Lush, so that was where I went to meet her.

I entered the building through the back, using a private door that was reserved for employees. Down the hallway was a set of stairs that led to Jisoo's apartment. She'd had it built when she opened the club, and she had the same setup at the one in LA, too. It wasn't where she lived; it was just a space for her to work in that was separate from the employees.

When I reached the door, I knocked, and she opened it within a few seconds, greeting me with a smile.

"It's been too long since I've seen you," she said, pulling me in for a hug.

"I know, and every time I was in LA these past few months, I was so swamped with work; I ended up sleeping at the office." I squeezed her even harder. "Promise we'll never let that much time pass again?"

"Promise." She released me, and I followed her into the kitchen. "What are we drinking? Wine?"

I looked at my watch to make sure I had the time right. "Jisoo, it's not even ten. Plus, I have to go to work after this."

"Well then, how about a mimosa?"

I laughed.

God, I love this girl.

"Yes," I told her. "That's much better than wine."

She smiled hard and went over to the fridge. While she took out the orange juice and a bottle of champagne, I looked toward her living room. My favorite part of her apartment was the double-sided glass that ran the entire length of the room, overlooking the chamber downstairs. I was able to see the bar and the hallways that jetted off the center. I could even view the tables and couches and the people who were talking to each other.

The club was open all day, every day.

Whenever I found myself in her apartment, I was always so drawn to the glass. I loved being able to look down at the people below, at the chemistry that was building. I could feel the buzz of adrenaline all the way up here.

"I have some news for you," she said, taking two glasses out of the cabinet. She set them on the counter and filled them three-quarters full with champagne and a splash of juice. Then, she pushed one over to me. "I spent some time investigating Lisa Manoban, trying to figure out how she'd gained entry to the club. Finding information on her wasn't as easy as I'd hoped."

"But you found something?"

She nodded.

There was a tightness in my chest that felt very much like nerves. I wasn't sure why I was feeling that way; it didn't make any sense. But I was certainly anxious over what she was about to tell me.