18| The showcase

Tonight is the showcase and we are doing our final touches on hair and makeup. My duet with summer is up first. We take the stage and wait for the music to begin. As the music starts we begin to dance. It feels like the music is taking over and leading me through the dance. Everything that we've worked for since school started is coming together on stage. I can't help but smile widely as I continue to dance. As the music ends me and Summer take our ending positions. The audience cheers and we bow deeply and then hug each other. As we make our way off stage I hear Dani cheering ridiculously loudly. Me and Summer both laugh a bit before going to the dressing room to change into our costumes for the group dance.

Our group dance went smoothly. We all did our parts and pulled everything together. There were a couple more duets and solos and even a small group dance. Summer helps me get the finishing touches for my dance ready. My solo is the last dance of the night and to say that I'm nervous would be an understatement. We set up a small projector in front of the stage to project a video over me and we set up my backdrop. My backdrop is just a wall of sheer white curtains for the projections to stick to and to help create the feeling of a room. We set up a fake bed to mimic my bedroom. I take my position on stage and wait for the curtains to open.

The curtains open and Mum by Luke Hemmings begins to play. I start dancing as Summer turns on the projector. It begins to play images of me that were used as evidence in my case, pictures of the bruises around my neck. As I continue to dance the projections change to show the video of me confronting Brandon at school. You can hear some of the things he says and what I say too. As the song comes to an end I am filled with so many emotions. It feels so good to speak put and it feels good to speak out in such a powerful way.

When my dance is over I bow and am immediately rushed by my friends and swallowed into a huge hug. They hold me for a while before letting me go.

"You were amazing up there," Dani says.

"You were awesome," Taylor and Summer reply in unison. The guys all nod approvingly. Christian pulls me aside and envelopes me in an enormous hug. I willingly accept it wrapping my arms around him tightly.

"I am so proud of you," He whispers in my ear.

"Thank you," I whisper back.

"I knew you could do it, you are one of the strongest people I know," I smile into him before pulling away.

"Thank you," I say again smiling.

"Logan sweetie, that was so good," My mom says with tears in her eyes. I smile at her. Her and my dad pull me into a hug. "We are so proud of what you have done this year,"

"Thank you,"

"Now why don't we go home and eat some ice cream to celebrate your awesome performance tonight?" My dad says.

"That sounds great," I reply.

______________________________________

I wake up to my phone ringing and begrudgingly answer.

"Hello?" I ask groggily. 

"Have you looked on any of your social media yet?" Dani asks urgently.

"No, I just woke up. Why?"

"Just check," Sighing I go onto my Instagram and look at my most recent post, a video of my performance at the showcase. It had over 1000 views and had 200 shares. There were also tons of comments. 

"How have so many people seen this?"

"I don't know but you should read the comments," I do as she says and check the comment section.

You are so inspiring.

Beautiful performance and message.<3

Everyone knows that you're just lying for attention.

Thank you for speaking up and sharing your story. You are so strong.

Why are you so hell-bent on ruining his life?

This performance helped me feel less alone in my experience. Thank you

There were many more comments, most of them being encouraging with the few rude ones that I assume are from people back in California. 

"So many people are supportive, what do you think will happen now?" Dani asks

"I don't know, I never expected anyone other than my friends to see it. I don't really know what to expect,"

"That makes sense, anyway, I have to go. See you later," She hangs up and I continue to scroll through my Instagram. I look at my DMs and see that many people have messaged me. One girl messaged me telling me about how my performance really spoke to her and another said she was moved by such a powerful performance. There were a few negative ones that I deleted but the responses were positive overall. This is an overall good way to start my Saturday. 

Since I'm awake now I decide to start my day. I pick out a pink plaid dress with a black shirt and some converse. Once dressed I go downstairs where my parents are making breakfast.

"You're up early," My dad comments.

"Yeah, Dani called me early so I decided to just start the day. I was thinking about going to the mall and shopping today."

"That sounds fun sweetie, are you going with anyone?" My mom asks.

"No, I was thinking of just having a me day, you know?"

"Alright sweetie, let us know when you're done," I nod and head out to my car.

_____________________________________

I really wanted to do more with the showcase scene but couldn't seem to find the right words to convey the image I was seeing in my mind, with that I hope you guys liked this chapter. Also sorry that this one is shorter than usual, the next one should be longer.

Also, we are 2/3 of the way through as of right now, that could change and it will be longer than that but we'll just have to wait and see. :) XO my lovely readers.

Love, Marie