22| My name is Detective Lopez

The police station is full of activity when we walk in. I stop in the doorway and take in a deep breath. Christian grabs my hand and squeezes it for reassurance. I walk forward and towards the woman at the front desk.

"I need to report a crime," I say. She looks up from her computer with slight disinterest until she catches sight of my appearance.

"Of course dear, what would the crime be?" I take a deep breath. I can do this.

"Rape," She hesitates before she speaks again.

"Alright, I'll go get our sexual crimes detective and she will help you from there dear. I am so proud of you for having the courage to come to us for help," She says with a smile. I nod and smile as she walks out from behind her desk and towards a set of office doors. She knocks and goes in. She is gone for a couple of minutes before she reemerged with a woman behind her.

"Alright dear, this is detective Lopez, she will take care of you from here," I nod and turn my attention away from her and towards the detective.

"Hello, my name is Detective Lopez but you can just call me Catherine," She says holding out her hand.

"I'm Logan, Logan Young," I reply shaking her hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Logan. Why don't we head to my office?" She asks gesturing towards her door. I nod and let her lead the way, my hand still entwined with Christian's. When we enter her office Christian and I take a seat on a mustard colored couch while Detective Lopez takes a seat across from us. "Why don't you tell me what happened so that I can understand just what I'm dealing with, does that sound alright?" I nod. 

"Could you go wait with my parents outside?" I ask Christian.

"What?"

"I just don't think you need to hear all of this, please," He nods and moves to stand. I give him a soft smile as he walks out the door.

"Start whenever you're ready," I take a deep breath before starting.

"Ok, I feel like before I should start I should tell you that I've done this before,"

"Done what before?"

"Filed a police report, for a... rape,"

"You reported this already?" I shake my head.

"No, I was raped last year back in California, the charges were dropped, and even though the system failed me the first time I know that this is what I need to do. I need to take back control,"

"Alright then," She says with a small smile. "Let's take back control."

____________________________________________________________

"Alright, now that I have your statement I'm going to need you to be examined and evidence to be collected," I nod.

"Ok, I have a change of clothes with my parents for when we are done," She nods, and then she leads me to a room with a nurse waiting for me.

"I'll be in my office when you are done if you have any more questions or concerns," I thank her and she shuts the door, leaving me alone with the nurse.

"I'm going to need you to remove your clothes so I can take pictures of any markings you have, alright?" She says sweetly. I nod, I've been doing that a lot. "I'll turn around if you want, I know I'm going to be seeing you anyway but some people are uncomfortable undressing in front of people,"

"Thank you but it is fine," I start removing my clothes, taking off my dress and shirt. Once all of my clothes are off the nurse turns back around and starts to take in the extent of my injuries. It's hard just standing in front of her all exposed. It makes me feel more vulnerable than when Jack's hands were all over me. I don't even know how that is possible, but it is.

"Oh, honey, he did a number on you didn't he?"

"Yeah," I say, my voice cracking a little.

"Don't worry, we'll get him, I'll make sure of it," I smile slightly.

"I don't know about that, I had something like this happen before I moved here and it didn't go well. He's still walking free,"

"Well, I'm not letting that happen to you again,"

"Thank you," She nods and begins taking pictures of all the bruises left on my body. Once she is done taking pictures she has me lay down on the exam table and she begins the rape kit. It is uncomfortable and hurts more than I remember. She is careful not to hurt me too much but there is still pain. When she is done she gives me a sucker, making me feel like a kid again.

I thank her for her help and leave the exam room. I walk back to Detective Lopez's office and knock on her door.

"Come in," I hear her say and I open the door. "Ah, Logan, how'd it go?"

"It was ok, it was definitely hard but I made it through,"

"Yes, you did. Now, I want to talk to you about what you want to do moving forward. I know you are still only seventeen so that can work in our favor. I looked into Jack while you were getting examined and it appears he turned eighteen in August so we can get him for assault on a minor. And if they don't want to charge him for sexual assault, which believe me I will push for with all my might, then we can still get him for statutory rape,"

"So even if the charges don't stick like last time I can still get him on a technicality?" 

"Yes,"

"So, he will get in trouble?"

"That is the goal, yes,"

"Thank you," I say with a smile.

"It's what I do, and believe me when I say I am ready to go to bat for you. We may have just met but I can tell that you are a strong young woman and I am confident I can build us a strong case."

______________________________________________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Detective Lopez is an angel and I love her. That's basically all I have to say. XO my lovely readers.

Love, Marie