Chapter One

He shifted mindlessly in his sleep, a gentle smile playing on his lips. In his dreams, he saw her swaying in her little white dress, looking like an angel as she giggled and elegantly fell onto the grass, her hair spread around her like a halo.

--

"What are you giggling about?" he would ask her, his jade eyes fixated onto her full lips. He loved the sound of laughter escaping them, it was like music to his ears.

With her eyes still surrounding with crinkles and her cherry lips curled in a miserable attempt to prevent herself from erupting into giggles again, she said, "At you, silly."

"Really?" He inquired, his voice still laced with amusement.

She nodded eagerly as she sat up again, pulling her knees up to her ample chest. "Mhm."

"Why so?" He asked. She looked so innocent and beautiful, the pureness of her soul casting a vibrant glow on her skin. His eyes were drawn to her wide blue eyes, oblivious to the wicked ways of the world, her tiny button nose and rosy cheeks. Her body was tiny, and it reminded him of a porcelain doll. He had long felt the need to protect her, insulate her from the evils that plagued the outside world.

He never wanted to see her break.

"You think you can save me from everything." Her small voice grew stronger with every word, and his eyebrows furrowed together. He did not like it when his baby girl spoke with even a hint of rudeness.

"That's because I can." He answered firmly and without hesitation. What was her point?

"You forget that there's one thing you just can't save me from," she paused, licking her chaste lips as she cast her stormy eyes upon him. But they did not hold the warm gaze they usually did, what replaced them was a look and pure coldness, as if he were merely a stranger. The next word she uttered had startled him and awoke a deep feeling inside him, pushed back by his strong sense of denial of what was happening right before his eyes.

"Myself."

The next thing he knew was that the person standing in front of him was not his babygirl. She had darker eyes, hollowed out by even darker circles. Her skin was pale and her hair grew slick, losing their lively waves. Her dress turned into a sickening raven black and when he saw her smile menacingly and push a knife into her stomach; he knew he had failed to save her.

---

He woke up with beads of sweat dripping from his forehead, his hair matted to his head and his eyes wide with horror. His breathing steadied as he frantically processed his surroundings, and realized it was just a dream. His sweet Vienna was probably tucked into bed, a small whistle accompanying her easy breathing as she clutched her teddy bear tightly. Just the thought made him smile.

He decided to get up, just to check up on her. Just in case. As he neared her bedroom, he assured himself that this dream was fueled by his deepest fears, that it would never happen and his princess would always be in her pink bedroom, reading a story or dancing to a classic tune. She would smile brightly when she would see him enter her little pink world and wrap her arms around him, clinging to him like he was her support system, her savior. They would always be happy, isolated from the world, living off a paper life.

As he opened the door he walked towards her bed, rubbing his sleep-filled eyes as he bent down to his her forehead. Her forehead was cold, and harder than it was supposed to be. Something was wrong. He reached for the lamp next to him blindly, turning it on only to find out that it wasn't Vienna laying in her bed.

It was a porcelain doll.

Shock shot through him and he blinked several times. Was this a late April fools prank? It must be a joke. He chuckled shakily to himself and when he saw what he saw next, his world came crashing down.

The window was wide open, and hanging from it was a string of blankets knotted up together, acting as a rope.

His babygirl was gone.

----

Omg I have never written something like this before but I'm so excited I might pee. Thoughts?