Chapter 7

Ring

Ring

Ring

"Hello? This is Howard Styles speaking."

My breath caught in my throat as his deep voice boomed through the speaker. This was the same voice that calmly told me that everything was going to be fine when my parents died. The same voice that convinced me to take a break from the business world, let him take over things while he sorted them out for me. I had always trusted that voice, since I had no one else to trust. But right now I was really starting to wonder if he was really worthy of that trust, if letting him "sort things out" for me was the right choice?

I could hear him grunt impatiently. "Hello..?" He tried again. I was too caught up in my thoughts that I forgot he even picked up the phone.

"U-uncle Howie?" I finally spoke out in a gentle rasp. I could hear some shuffling from the other line, "Harry? Is that you, boy?" He asked, his voice laced with enthusiasm once he recognized me.

"Yes. It's so good to hear you again." I remembered the last time we talked. It was maybe around four years ago, he asked me how I was doing, then told me he'd call again sometime. Guess he forgot.

"I missed you, you little shit! We have to get together and catch up some time." He let out that familiar, rusty chuckle of his.

I remembered the purpose of this call; to make sense of Emelia's sudden reappearing into my life and her cryptic messages. I had a bad feeling about his supposed involvement with Emelia abandoning me.

"About that, could you schedule an appointment in the nearest possible time?" I had asked him flatly, professionally.

He seemed to sense the badly concealed coldness in my tone, "Sure, but you're worrying me a little, boy. Tell me, what is it that's on your mind?"

I remained silent. There was so many thoughts flowing through my mind, so many questions, yet I could not utter a single one out.

"Speak up. What is it?" He said, I could tell he was growing impatient again.

"Emelia."

I could hear him inhale sharply, but he said nothing. I found my fists clenching at my sides as his eery silence confirmed what I had feared was true - he was hiding something from me, something big.

"There's something you know that I don't, right, Uncle?" I spat sarcastically, "When she left me so suddenly that dreaded day, you were the only one with me that day. So I thought about it, and realized you might be keeping something from me. And right now I won't sit back while you control my life, I am not some stupid youth that you could easily deceive anymore. I need answers. Immediately."

Silence.

I chuckled bitterly, "Just what I thought."

A few moments passed by, and I could almost hear him thinking of anything to say that would pacify me for the time being. Surprisingly, he replied straightforwardly, "I'll meet you tomorrow at 6 pm at my primary office." His voice wasn't as strong and loud as before. He sounded..

Afraid.

He ended the call, and my eyes danced over to the time, wondering why I felt a deep panging feeling in my gut, almost like I had forgotten something. Suddenly, I was struck with a staggering thought. I had left Vienna all alone for a whole hour.

I pressed on the gas pedal harshly, chewing on my bottom lip as panic seeped through my thoughts. How could I leave her alone like that? I'm a horrible, irresponsible parent. I should have never took her out in the first place.