Chapter Six

Three soft knocks sounded on the door to my study, I perked up and set down my copy of To Kill A Mockingbird. "Come in." I called out, knowing it could not possibly be anyone but Vienna, my little angel on earth.

"Hi." She squeaked out softly. She was dressed in a turtle neck, dark blue coat, and skinny jeans which had accentuated her chubby yet muscular legs. Her silky hair was tied into a side bun, adorned with a white bow. She dressed so simply, but I could just stare at her for days.

A silly grin spread on my face just upon seeing her, "Ello, babygirl." I said, patting my lap, gesturing for her to sit on it.

She smiled slightly and nodded, she did not hesitate to sprint towards me and plop herself on my lap comfortably.

"What brings you here, do you need something?" I asked her gently as I wrapped my arms around her small waist, resting my chin on her shoulder. For some reason I felt a shiver ripple through her petite body, and she tensed up a little. That was odd.

"I was uh.." She swallowed and started to play with the buttons on my shirt, "Uhm.." She was trying to tell me something, but was too afraid to just tell me it. Wrinkles formed between my eyebrows, and her eyes widened. She seemed afraid of me, ever since I had unleashed my anger upon the unnamed boy she went through so much trouble to see.

I pulled my chin away from her shoulder and unraveled my arms from around her. "What is it?" I asked, studying her worried expression. I caressed her smooth cheek with my thumb and she finally looked me in the eyes.

My breath hitched as her small fingers ran through my long mane of hair, and she tugged a little at the ends. It was my turn to swallow now. Why did the simple gesture make tension build up in the most inappropriate places in my body?

I thought I caught the ghost of a smirk lingering on her cherry lips as she assessed my reaction.

"Daddy, can I ask you something but please, promise me you won't get upset with me?" She asked in a small voice, batting her thick lashes up at me.

I couldn't help but smile. "Of course, I promise." I nodded, reassuring her.

She took her bottom lip in between her teeth before she threw an impossible request upon me, "I was wondering if I could start going to public school?"

The memory of my earlier promise shattered right then and there. Millions of thoughts ran through my head. Why could she possibly want such a thing? Was I not giving her enough of what she needed? The private tutors I paid to come over every week, weren't they good enough? So why would she request such a thing of me? Soon, an answer poked through me, and I feared it might me true;

What if that boy she had met, what if he was in public school, and she wanted to go there to see him again?

My face boiled with anger as I replayed the hurtful images of them together in my head, and she hopped off my lap, taking a few steps back. I stood up from my seat. "The hell you will!" I yelled, feeling a vein pop in my neck.

I will not share my princess. She will always stay here, always be by my side. I needed her, and I loved her so much that I simply could never let her go anywhere without me. Even then, I had to take precautions.

"B-but you promised me!" She shrieked, her small hands started to shake with uncontainable fear. I had trouble controlling my anger.

"How dare you, Vienna? You're asking me the impossible, you're trying to break my heart, just to see that stupid boy of yours?" I questioned her, glaring at her with a burning intensity.

"No, daddy! I would never do that to you!" She quickly defended and my breathing gradually regulated. "I just.. I just want to feel normal, alright? I want to feel like a normal teenager, meet normal people and just feel like I'm not an alien to this world! My whole life, I have been locked up in this house, and I have never defied your wishes, always did what I was done, yet when I ask of you something so simple, you burst out at me like that!"