Better late then never!

Naira Dutta

"Why did you call us here?"
Mom asked as she sat on the couch in the living room. It was a sunday so I decided to get everyone under a roof and show them the reality.

I work for Das & Co.  which is Shlok's company but since the incident I have decided that I can only take this much.

It is been a week since that happened. Neither did Shlok return home that night and nor did any hope which could keep me going.

I have submitted my resignation yesterday and he did not bother to ask me why did I do that and just approved it.

"I wanted to inform something." I said to my mom.

"We can talk over dinner beta, let's go to the dining room." Shlok's mom said.

"I am sorry maa but we cannot talk about this over dinner." I said.

Shlok just sat there with a bored face as he must be getting late to go to complete his bed fantasies.

I kept the folder before Shlok.
"I thought you called us because it is your 1st wedding anniversary and we had to celebrate." Dad said.

"Shlok? Do you know it is our 1st wedding anniversary?" I asked with a dry chuckle.

I've had enough of his tantrums.

"Ohh! I obviously know. I even gave her my credit card today morning as a gift." He said and I rolled my eyes.

Fucking liar!

"Yess, and I hope you know that I am not playing with you in this lie this time." I said with a sweet smile and he looked at me confused.

"Open the folder." I said and everyone was looking at me confused.

"What is in it?" Shlok's Dad asked.

"Divorce papers." Shlok said with wide eyes.

"Yess, divorce papers. I'm done with your son and lying to everyone of you that I am happy." I said agitated.

"Beta, we told you right it will take time. What did he do? I know your complaint would be he doesn't love you or doesn't give you time— My mom started.

"Mom, for once stop defending him and trust me. Trust me that I really can't do this! He is never home at night. There were times when I've heard his moans with some other girl from his room at nights. He is that shameless!" I yelled.

"Dad she is lying!" He said to his dad standing up.

"Ohhh! I am lying. Dad come with me na. I'll show how after a year also we live in seperate bedrooms and still his wardrobe has things his night affairs leave behind." I said glaring at him and he sat down quiet.

"This is not a reason for divorce. Your's was a forced marriage beta. You should understand him. You should try to mend things between you both." Mom said.

"Maine akeli ne theka le rakha hai? Sab sahi karne ka?" I asked my mom.

"Tell me, Shouldn't he also understand me because I was also forced in this?" I asked.

"The first night and he said we'll have an open marriage. You fuck whomsoever you want I'll fuck whoever I want." I said mimicking him while his mom Dad sat there glaring at him.

"Definitely, it was an open marriage from his side but I always tried to keep him in place. But now, he has crossed all his limits!" I said glaring at him.

"Beta, I am sorry from him. I assure you that from now on he will behave like a responsilbe person." His mom said and a dry chuckle left my mouth.

"Should I go around sleeping with diffrent guys every night? Is that allowed for me? No! Then why is it allowed for him?" I asked rather angrily.

"You were supposed to get him out of his playboy ways and not leave him!" My dad said.

"Great! So, all this while was I a rehab centre for his playboy ways?" I asked.

"Shaadi ke baad uska sasural hi ladki ka ghar hota hai." My mom said.

"Ye mera ghar kabhi tha hi nahi maa, aur na kabhi ban sakta hai." I said with tears in my eyes.

"A woman is supposed to hold on and not break things." Dad tried to explain me.

"I am sorry for not being the ideal woman then, I'm sorry for breaking this because I want freedom. I want my happiness back. I want myself back!" I tried to explain them.

"She is right Rajiv. How long will she do this? Handling a cheating partner is not easy." Shlok's dad tried to explain my dad.

"She can. I know her, she will." My mom said patting my shoulder.

"I won't mom. This time, I choose myself. I don't care about the consequences. I don't care if there was a business agreement between Das & Datta's. I am out of this." I said and taking those papers I was going to sign on them when my mom said,

"Think twive before you sign them. The day you got married the doors for our house were closer for you and are never going to open."

I just closed my eyes and took a deep breath,

You're not falling weak now!

I looked at her and said,
"Then from today I don't only divorce my husband but also lose my parents. Fine by me, if that is what you want." I said and I signed while tears started surfacing in my eyes.

"Sign them." I pass them towards Shlok.

"Beta, don't. If you tell her that you will stop all this then she will stay." His mom explained to him.

"I am not staying. Not at any cost. He made me feel like a whore when I was sitting between his friends and I don't think I deserve that." I said.

"Fucking sign the papers!" I yelled at Shlok and he took the pen and signed them quickly.

"I'll be leaving this house by tomorrow and don't worry mom & dad I'm not going to stand at your doorstep asking for a shelter." I said and left for the room I lived in this house.

Finally!
I can have my life back!
I should have done this a long time ago..!

But,
Better late then never!