Chapter 29: I'm In Trouble...

Hawk whips around to showcase his back tattoo and he rolls his shoulders. Selena's eyes widen. Since when does he have a back tattoo? Rosalía taps her on the shoulder and leans behind Daniel, making Selena copy. "Are you friends with him?" she whispers. The girl has mentioned someone with a mohawk before but she never clarified anything. "Uh..." Selena trails off, not knowing if she should respond.

Hawk's not acting like someone a Latina mother would want her daughter to be friends with. "I won't tell your dad," the woman mouths. Oh, so we're cool, Selena thinks. "Yeah," she confirms. Rosalía merely nods. "Oh... just be careful, I guess," she replies. What an interesting character, she thinks as she leans away. She doesn't want to judge the spiky-haired boy because she doesn't know him, so all she can do is tell her daughter to be careful.

*Time skip*

Miguel's adversary has many tricks up his sleeve, he keeps doing all sorts of flips but the boy manages to block every move. Miguel slides across the mat as his adversary does a flip. He runs at him but the boy kicks his leg back, striking him in the torso. He lands another kick to his face, earning him another point. "Three points!" the referee announces. "Yes!" Selena shrieks excitedly. She catches herself and turns to Sam. "Oh, sorry," she apologizes. Her cousin shakes her head. "No, don't worry about it. I know he's your friend. Just because I don't cheer for him, it doesn't mean you can't," she assures the girl. Selena searches her face for sincerity, her eyes and smile tell her she means it. She finally nods and replies, "thanks."

The referee raises Miguel's arm and shouts, "winner!" The crowd roars and the boy's eyes are pulled to the front row. Only he doesn't look at Sam first this time... he's gazing at Selena. The girl gazes back and a small smile forms on her face. This causes the boy to grin, he's relieved by the sight. Maybe she's not mad anymore, he thinks. He still wants to apologize though. His eyes involuntarily flicker to the girl beside her and his smile falters upon seeing her hard expression.

Oh, right... he thinks. He still needs to talk to her too. "Over on mat two, Miguel Diaz makes the semis!" the announcer declares as the boy goes back to his spot. Selena takes a deep breath, it feels like her insides are on fire, especially her chest. She feels like this a lot lately when she's around Miguel, but today it seems to have intensified. The matches continue and Robby makes it to the semifinals. Rosalía and Selena cheer him on loudly while Daniel still acts like he doesn't care, even though it's obvious to his wife that he does.

Miguel notices Selena cheering for him, which fuels his fury toward Robby. Why is she cheering him on so much? When Aisha competes against Xander Stone, the Juárez LaRussos show her all their support once again. However, she ends up losing when Xander sweeps her leg. Patricia shoots up and starts yelling, "yeah!" Rosalía flinches a bit, stunned by the sudden boisterous sound, and looks at her. She scoots a little closer to Daniel. Meanwhile, Aisha frustratedly storms away and Selena is about to get up when Sam insists on doing it and follows after her.

"Yes! Let's give it up for all of our competitors. You're all winners. We have seen some great fighting today, haven't we? Huh?" the announcer speaks as the semifinalists and their senseis stand behind him on the mat. The crowd applauds and Selena shouts, "wooh!" She's not sure who to root for since three of her friends are competing. Eh, whoever wins, wins, she thinks. Rosalía, on the other hand, is rooting for Robby. She's not familiar with the other kids but she knows Robby deserves to win. He's extremely talented as well and she would love to see him win using Mr. Miyagi's teachings. Miguel's eyes dart to Selena and he grins when she looks back at him. The girl's heart hammers in her chest, it's like her body is shutting down.

Why does he make me feel like I'm dying? She wonders. "There can be only one true winner, and he is standing on this stage right now. Will it be Miguel Diaz from Cobra Kai Karate?" the announcer continues. Selena hollers and claps for him, "yeah, Miguel! Wooh!" The boy's face lights up upon hearing her. "Will it be Hawk... Well, I guess it's just 'Hawk' from Cobra Kai Karate?" Selena cheers again. "Go, Hawk!" she yells. Daniel shoots her a skeptical look. "How do you know those kids?" he questions. The girl turns to him with a dumbfounded expression. She forgot that she's not supposed to talk to the Cobras. "What's a kid?" she asks. Daniel gives her a pointed look before rolling his eyes and shaking his head. Rosalía holds in a laugh.