Chapter 39: You're Famous Now

Selena is hanging out with Moon, Demetri, and Hawk at the beach. They're in the middle of a volleyball match. She and Hawk are on the same team while Demetri and Moon are on the opposite side of the net. She's never spent time with Moon until after the tournament because of Yasmine, but she's never had a problem with her. Now that she's friends with her, she can see why Sam likes her, Moon is a total sweetheart. Due to this fact, she finds it a bit strange that she's dating Hawk since he's not much of a sweetheart anymore... but they do say opposites attract. Demetri lifts the ball out in front of him and stretches his neck from side to side. Hawk and Selena prepare themselves on the other side of the net for the ball.

Demetri finally strikes it, however, he hits it directly into the net. "Uh," he mutters when the ball drops to the ground. Hawk and Selena turn to each other, the boy making an annoyed face while Selena smiles amusedly. "Mulligan, send it back," Demetri pipes up, trying to act natural. "There's no mulligans in volleyball," Hawk informs him, to which Demetri scoffs. "Says you," he sasses before walking off and announcing, "water break." Hawk furrows his eyebrows and shakes his head while Selena lightly chuckles. As she approaches the net to talk to Moon, Hawk's eyes are pulled to her figure.

She's sporting a yellow two-piece with a white sarong, and Hawk can't deny that she looks good in it. He got with Moon to get over his crush on Selena, and it's working pretty well, he really likes Moon. However, he still finds himself a bit attracted to Selena. He quickly averts his eyes, not wanting to stare. Suddenly, an unfamiliar voice catches everyone's attention. "Cobra Kai?" They turn to the side to see two girls in front of Demetri, who's drying his face with a Cobra Kai towel. "You guys won that karate tournament, right?" one of them asks. The boy slowly lowers the towel from his face. "Um... The All Valley? The Rumble in Reseda? Yes, uh..." he trails off, leaning his arm against the pole. "We, uh... we certainly did," he states.

Selena and Moon share a look, quietly giggling at this. The unknown girl smiles, seeming impressed. "Cool. We're gonna go for a swim but maybe play with you later?" she suggests. "Pfft... most def," Demetri replies, trying to look cool. "Uh, that means 'most definitely," he clarifies, making the girl giggle before she and her friend saunter away. Moon and Selena laugh. "Look at you, player," Moon comments as she goes off to the side. "Okay, Demetri, I see you," Selena teases, nearing him and playfully slapping his arm with the back of her hand. "Yeah... it'd be nice if you actually earned the Cobra Kai cred you're so happy to take. When are you ever gonna sign up?" Hawk speaks up.

"I- I don't know. I'm kind of enjoying the gain without the pain," Demetri admits, making Selena laugh. "I can respect that," she states, nodding at him. He beams and nods in return. The girl would prefer if Demetri didn't join Cobra Kai, she definitely questions that dojo's morality after the tournament. Additionally, her mom described Cobra Kai as a cult and she can see why she thinks that. She glances down at the Cobra Kai towel on the sand and the Cobra Kai volleyball abandoned by the net. What do they need so much merch for? Cult vibes, she thinks. "Hawk," a voice interrupts her thoughts. She and Hawk turn around to see Miguel approaching.

She perks up at the sight of him. "Hi, Miggy," she calls out while Hawk greets, "Hey, there's the man." The two walk up to him and the boys do their handshake before Miguel and Selena hug. "What's up," the spiky-haired boy adds before he and the girl notice Miguel's glum expression. "You good?" Selena questions while Hawk's grin disappears. "No. No more of this. Look, it's a beautiful day out. The beach is packed with babes. No more sulking about Sam," he addresses Miguel. Selena looks down at the mention of her cousin. Isn't he getting over her? She wonders. Miguel shakes his head, his eyes falling onto the girl.

Well, he's right about the babes part, he thinks as he quickly scans Selena's beachwear. He darts his eyes away but not fast enough because the girl catches him. She feels a bit shy now. "I'm not sulking about Sam. It's about Sensei," Miguel clarifies, making eye contact with Hawk. "Is this about his rap sheet? My parents read it online. I think it makes him more badass," the spiky-haired boy pipes up. Miguel shakes his head while he's talking. "It's about him and Robby Keene," he states, causing Hawk to shoot him a puzzled look. "You mean because he's his dad?" Selena chimes in. Both boys snap their heads to her.