Chapter 35: We're Not Matt Murdock

I'm surprised no one caught that Loki reference in the last chapter lol. Anyway, I'm back! Sorry for the wait, I had a bit of writer's block and sometimes I need a little break.

-

-

Selena arrives at the dojo, feeling refreshed. She's excited to restart her karate lessons. She grabs her duffel bag from the passenger seat and climbs out of her car, locking it before making her way toward the front gate. A grin forms on her face as she walks by the new wooden "Miyagi-Do Karate" sign. As she steps through the gate, her phone starts to vibrate in her hand so she glances down at it.

Her mood brightens at the sight of Miguel's name and contact photo on her screen. She glides her thumb across the screen to answer it and presses the phone against her ear. "Hey, Miggy, what's up?" she cheerily speaks. The boy on the other end of the line feels his heart flutter at the nickname. The only other person who calls him that is his mom but it sounds so sweet coming from Selena.

"Hey! I, uh... I just wanted to talk before class starts since we're both about to be pretty busy," Miguel claims, nervously chuckling. Selena told him that she was getting back into karate and that today is her first day back, and Miguel told her that he has Cobra Kai training today. A bashful smile makes its way onto the girl's face,  she's flattered that he's taking time out of his day to call her of all people.

"Aww, that's so sweet. But you know I'm seeing you later, right?" she replies, slightly giggling and stopping in her tracks. "Pfft, so? What, I can't talk to you more than once a day?" Miguel sassily jokes. "Mhm, precisely. You gotta make an appointment if you want to talk to me a second time in the same day," Selena plays along.

"Oh, okay, got it. So can I make one now? What time works best for you? Is 5:00 good?" the boy responds in a joking tone. Selena laughs as she resumes walking, going into the house. "Ah, sorry, it doesn't work that way. You have to check with my secretary," she claims in an apologetic voice. "Ohhh, your secretary," Miguel utters. Selena nods and hums in confirmation. The boy chuckles and shakes his head, smiling like an idiot. "You're so annoying," he speaks into the phone. Selena clicks her tongue. "Ah, but you like it," she teases, smiling widely as she walks through the house. Miguel's smile broadens when she says this. "Yeah, I do," he softly agrees.

Selena's heart stops when she hears this. What does that mean? Why did he say it like that? She wonders, getting nervous. She just slightly chuckles, her mind too scrambled to come up with a response. She approaches the doorway to the backyard, spotting Robby hitting the punching bag. "Oh, hey, Robby," she greets him, catching his attention. He looks up and weakly grins at her. "Hey," he returns. Miguel's smile fades when he hears that name.

"Robby's there?" he questions, that familiar bitterness filling his chest. Oh, right, I forgot they have beef, the girl thinks as she steps onto the deck. "Uh, yeah. He's still my dad's student. Pero también es como el hijo adoptado de mis padres. Ahora tengo otro hermano [But he's also like my parents' adopted kid. Now I have another brother]," Selena remarks in Spanish so Robby won't understand.

Miguel slightly chuckles, a bit of relief washing over him. So she sees him as a brother, he thinks. He hopes it's true and that her words aren't just empty. Robby continues to punch the punching bag but eyes Selena when she speaks in Spanish, guessing she's talking about him. She sets her bag down and glances at the boy before looking away with a small grin. "Hey, I have to go now but I'll see you later, okay?" she speaks into the phone. Miguel still feels a speck of jealousy as he thinks about how she's hanging up to spend time with Robby, but he tries to push the thought aside. "Uh, yeah, okay," he responds. The two bid their goodbyes before Selena hangs up.