Chapter 37: Can We Get Out Now?

The next morning, Sam and Selena arrive at the dojo and get in the circle to practice. Daniel said that the wheel technique works with two or three people so the girls have been working on their synchronicity but have had no luck so far. As they're practicing, Sam spots Robby marching through the gate. "Hey, um, was the first turn clockwise or counterclockwise? We can't remember," she asks.

Robby stops in his tracks as she speaks. "I don't remember. What's the point even? How's a stupid dance gonna save us in a fight?" he snaps before sauntering off. The cousins are left speechless as they watch him walk away. Selena steps closer to Sam and crosses her arms over her chest. "You know what's never saved us in a fight? That attitude," she sassily remarks, staring after Robby.

Sam lightly chuckles and they follow after him into the house. As they walk out the back door, they spot Daniel in the pond, placing a bonsai tree on the grass on the edge of the water before hopping out. "Hi, !" Selena calls out to him. As the man is straightening up and dusting his hands off, Sam asks, "what are you doing?" The girls' voices capture Daniel's attention and he looks up, seeing his three students approaching. "Mr. Miyagi built this a few years before he died. He said it was a monument to balance. But today, it's not gonna balance bonsais. It's gonna help you three learn the wheel technique. Hop in," he instructs as he walks up to the teens.

"Ah, man, I just washed these clothes."

"You actually want us to get in there?"

The cousins speak at the same time. "It's called a washing machine, you can wash them again. And yeah," the older man addresses both girls. Selena slightly chuckles at her father's response. That sounded like something her mother would totally say. The teens exchange a look before gazing at Daniel. "Could've told us to bring our swimsuits," Robby remarks. "Come on, a little water never hurt anyone," the man responds with a grin. Selena suddenly scoffs. "Tell that to Jack Dawson," she comments as she takes off her shoes and socks. Robby and Sam laugh at this while Daniel shoots her a sarcastic smile. Robby gets in first, followed by Selena, then by Sam. "Alright, nice and easy," Daniel pipes up as Robby gets in.

He shudders as his body meets the water. "Oh, it's cold," he utters shakily. Selena climbs in next, shuddering as well when her body sinks deeper into the water. "Come on, it's not that bad. Get on each side," Daniel voices. "Wait, if there are three of us, I don't think it'll balance very well," Selena pipes up as she walks around the deck. "You'll be fine," her dad dismisses. "Oh, my God, Uncle, what did I just step on?" Sam freaks out as she walks through the water. "Hopefully, not a fish," Selena remarks. Sam's eyes widen in fear and she snaps her head to Daniel. "Shhh, Selena! It's nothing, it's nothing. Don't worry about it," he scolds his daughter before acknowledging his niece.

"Oh, sorry," Selena utters before slightly chuckling to herself. The three stand around the deck and press their hands down on it, making it lower into the water. "Yeah, that's a no," Selena sassily states, lifting her pointed finger up and flicking her wrist downward to point at the deck. "If we can't do this on the ground, how are we supposed to do it on this?" Robby questions, turning to their sensei. "On the ground, it's hard to sense when your partner is moving. On that deck, trust me, you're gonna feel it right away. Come on. Get up there," Daniel claims. Selena glances at Robby across from her and shrugs before hoisting herself up onto the deck.

The other two do the same thing, struggling a bit to not fall. "Woah," the girls blurt as they climb up. "There you go. Easy, easy, just relax. Alright, find your balance," Daniel advises as they try to stand up. "Woah," Sam voices again. Since there's no one across from her, the deck is tipping in her direction due to her weight, making it a bit harder for her to stand up. "Find your balance, Sam, you're alright," her uncle tells her. The three manage to straighten up, making the deck wobble a bit. "Okay? There you go," Daniel speaks again as the teens struggle to keep their balance. "Look at each other," he instructs, making them look up and glance at one another.