Chapter 87: This Is Like a Novela

John Kreese has been roaming West Valley High, searching for potential recruits. He needs the best of the best. He needs determination, strength... brutality. He needs natural athletes, which is exactly what Cobra Kai is lacking. So, he visits different sporting events such as basketball games and wrestling matches, looking for teenagers who fit the bill. Much to his luck, he does find potential candidates, such as Brucks and Kyler. Currently, he's sitting on the top row of the bleachers on the field, closely watching a girls' soccer game.

One girl, in particular, catches his eye. He observes as the brunette steals the ball from a blonde on the opposing team, purposefully tripping her in the process. Kreese doesn't fail to notice the subtle smirk on her face, as if she's proud of what she did. For the rest of the game, the brunette plays rough, shoving and kicking the other players. It's clear that she is angered easily. That's perfect. People like her are just what Cobra Kai needs. When the game ends, the girl strides off to the sideline to retrieve her duffel bag. She opens it and pulls out a water bottle.

As she's drinking water, Kreese stalks over to her. "Excuse me?" he pipes up. The girl turns over her right shoulder and spots the old man, staying quiet as she waits for him to proceed. "I don't mean to bother you but I was watching the game and... I must say, you're a talented player," Kreese comments with a small grin. The girl sends him a tight-lipped smile. "Thanks," she replies, picking up her bag and walking in the opposite direction. She doesn't know the man so she'd rather not continue chatting. She doesn't get very far when Kreese speaks up again.

"You ever thought about joining a dojo?"

The girl stops in her tracks and turns around. "What?" she questions, knitting her eyebrows together. "A dojo. You know, karate," the man clarifies. The girl doesn't respond as she continues to stare at him in confusion and curiosity. "You see, I... I'm looking for new recruits for my dojo. It's called Cobra Kai. You may have heard of it," Kreese explains, folding his hands together as he gazes at the teen. "Oh, yeah. You guys won that tournament, and were in the school fight," she responds, slowly stepping closer to the man.

Kreese merely nods. He begins to explain how Cobra Kai is the best in the Valley and how they could use someone like her on the team. Upon noticing the girl's hesitance, he tries to convince her by claiming that he will make her strong and that all the other girls won't stand a chance against her. "All you have to do is say yes... and I will mold you into the ultimate weapon," Kreese conveys, a cocky expression taking over his features. He has the brunette's complete attention now. She likes the thought of becoming a powerful weapon.

"So... What do you say? Are you in or are you out?"

"All the other girls won't stand a chance against you..." The man's statement replays in the girl's head. A specific person crosses her mind as she recalls his words. This person is very gifted at karate and she's affiliated with Cobra Kai's competing dojo. The brunette has seen her fight, and never thought she'd stand a chance against her... but now she just might and she would love to beat her at her own game. A malicious smirk spreads across her face and she gives the tiniest of nods. "I'm in," she confidently affirms.

If Selena Juarez LaRusso knows karate, she may as well learn it too. Maybe I'll get to beat her ass one day, the girl thinks, making her smirk grow. Kreese returns the smirk, satisfied that he was able to persuade her. "Excellent... I'm sorry, I didn't get your name," he voices, sending the girl an expectant look. "Jocelyn," the brunette answers. The man slightly grins. "John Kreese," he offers his hand, which the girl shakes. "I'll see you in the dojo, Jocelyn," he utters, letting go of the girl's hand before striding away.

[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]

Juarez LaRusso House

Daniel unlocks the front door and pushes it open before stepping aside, letting Rosalía enter first. "Thanks, amor," she utters as she walks in with the handle of her rolling suitcase in one hand and a gift bag in the other. Her husband grins as he follows behind before shutting the door. "We're home!" he yells, hoping whoever's home will hear. "Ah, mi casita! [My house!]" the woman sighs contently, softly smiling as she looks around. As much as she enjoyed being away, she missed her home and kids dearly. She's looking forward to seeing their faces in person again.