Chapter 51: Love of My Life

Rosalía and Selena are attending to a potted plant. Selena holds the stems and leaves back while her mother shovels soil into the pot. The girl is lost in thought as she sits there, thinking about what she saw yesterday. She can't stop thinking about it. She and Miguel texted after that and it's been a bit awkward. She's not sure if he feels awkward too or if it's just her. They didn't even acknowledge his new relationship with Tory. Selena is curious about how this happened, Miguel never talked about Tory. At the same time though, she doesn't want to know the details because it would just hurt.

Rosalía glances at her daughter, noticing the solemn look on her face. "Sel," she voices. The girl doesn't react. "Sel," she tries again, slightly raising her voice. Selena's pulled out of her thoughts and she looks at her mother like a deer caught in headlights. "Hm?" she hums. Rosalía gives her an empathetic look, having an idea of what she's thinking about. "Estás bien? [are you okay?]" she asks. The girl nods her head. "Yeah... yeah, I'm fine," she answers. Before Rosalía could respond, the sound of a grunt catches both women's attention. They look up to see Demetri on the ground and Chris standing in front of him.

They immediately straighten up and run to the boy's aid. "Demetri! Demetri, are you okay?" Sam calls as she and Robby run over as well. She and Selena pull him up, and Rosalía questions, "are you okay, kid?" Meanwhile, Daniel rushes out of the dojo. "Woah! What are you doing? We're on the same team now!" he shouts. Robby frowns and gestures to Chris. "Once a Cobra Kai, always a Cobra Kai," he states. Daniel immediately shakes his head. "Well, that's not true," he counters defensively. "I know it's not true 'cause..."

He glances at his wife, who knows exactly what he's going to say. Daniel's eyes land on Robby again and he lightly sighs. "I used to be a Cobra Kai," he reveals. All the kids are shocked by this revelation. The ex-Cobras all exchange a look behind him while Sam and Selena do the same thing. Robby stares at Daniel in disbelief before he and the cousins turn to look at Rosalía for confirmation. Why do they gotta look at me? She thinks. She shrugs and nods her head. "Yup... it was his tóxico era," she states. Daniel shoots her a look. "What? You know it's true," the woman says. 

Her husband just sighs, knowing she's right. He leads everyone inside and begins to tell the story once they're all seated. "Cobra Kai sells power... strength. And when I joined, I was... well, I was- I was weak," he begins. Rosalía sits in the front right corner, flashbacks running through her mind as her husband speaks. She remembers that time of her life well. "It was 1985. I had just won my first All Valley and Mr. Miyagi didn't want me to compete anymore. He never really liked the idea of fighting for trophies in the first place."

Selena and Sam sit on a bench in the back right corner, listening intently. That sounds like him, Selena thinks. Daniel paces back and forth as he tells the story. "So, he and I, we... got into this big argument and... what did I do? I joined Cobra Kai. I learned to strike first, strike hard, show no mercy. And it turned me into an angry and violent kid... it changed me." He hangs his head and fiddles with the wedding ring on his finger. "I almost lost the love of my life because of it," he sadly voices, looking at his wife.

He remembers how he almost let Silver come between them, how terrified he was of losing Rosalía. She gazes back with a small dull smile, remembering how close she was to ending their relationship despite being afraid to lose Daniel. She's just glad he came to his senses and they were able to save their relationship. Selena looks at her parents in surprise. "You never told us about any of this," she speaks up, referring to herself, Sam, and her siblings. She finds it intriguing that they almost separated at one point.

Sure, she knows about a few rough patches they've had, such as how her mom's career as a backup dancer affected their relationship when she was on the road, but it was never anything too bad. This is her first time hearing that they almost broke up. "It's not something I'm proud of, Sel," her father answers. "Yeah, and we never thought it was necessary to tell either. It's not even a fun story," Rosalía adds, shrugging. Selena scoffs. "Dad had a tóxico era, that's totally story-telling material," she remarks, chuckling. Her parents chuckle and Daniel lightheartedly rolls his eyes.