Chapter 54: How Could You?

Coyote Creek

Miguel is leaning against a tree, waiting for Hawk. Saying he's upset would be an understatement. He saw the mohawked boy bragging about the stolen Medal of Honor. Now he gets why Selena cut him off. He can't believe Hawk would do that to her. Miguel glances up, spotting the boy approaching. He leans off of the tree as Hawk walks up to him. "Finally, a worthy opponent," the spiky-haired boy speaks up, smirking. "So you're the one that trashed Miyagi-Do," Miguel voices. Hawk's smirk is replaced with a scowl. "They're the enemy. I had to put them in their place," he states.

"So that means you had to trash their dojo and steal the Medal of Honor?" Miguel accusingly questions, furrowing his eyebrows. "What do you care? Just 'cause you have a thing for Selena doesn't mean I have to go soft," Hawk spits. Miguel's face falls, surprised by his peer's statement. Hawk scoffs. "What, you thought I didn't know?" he tauntingly questions. Miguel frowns. "Didn't you have a thing for her too?" he fires back. He remembers all the times Hawk shamelessly flirted with her. Hawk's face slightly falls.

"What, you thought I didn't know?" Miguel mocks him. The spiky-haired boy's face hardens again. "How could you do that to her? She was your friend," Miguel adds, shaking his head. "Yeah, she was. She's the enemy now, so I'm not going soft," he retorts. The tan boy rolls his eyes. "I'm not soft. And this isn't about her," he claims. "Nah. Sure it isn't," Hawk responds. He reaches into his shirt and pulls out the medal, showing it to Miguel. "You want the medal so bad? Come and take it," he taunts. Miguel frowns. Oh, I will, he thinks as the two prepare to fight.

[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]

LaRusso Luxury Motors

Daniel rushes to Anoush's office. He's about to open the door when Rosalía appears behind him. "He left," she announces. The man turns around, seeing her standing there with her arms folded over her chest. "Oh. I was gonna buy him surf n' turf at Delmonico's. I'll call his cell," he replies. His wife clarifies, "Oh... no, I meant he quit. Anoush gave his notice." Daniel gapes at her in shock. "What?" he questions, approaching her. The woman nods in confirmation. "Tom Cole offered him a higher title. Better pay. He was gonna give us a chance to match it but then you failed to show up," she states.

Daniel notices the distant look on her face, knowing she's disappointed in him. "Okay, I know. Alright, listen, this is- this is an easy fix. I'll call Anoush and I'll clear it up," he assures her. Not even a hint of a smile forms on Rosalía's face. "You said you'd be here..." she trails off. Her husband's face falls.

"You said that you wouldn't forget, that we'd both be here... and then you didn't show up. I know how important your dojo is to you. Trust me, it's important to me too and I've spent a lot of time with you there but you're rarely here now! And we have two companies to run! There's only so much we could put on Amanda and Kara's shoulders, and now we lost Anoush!" she rambles.

"Okay, okay, I know. I'm sorry," Daniel softly voices, stepping closer and gently gripping her arms. His wife sighs frustratedly, taking a breath to calm down. "Today got away from me, okay? It's not gonna happen again, I promise. I'll be at the dealership more, okay? And the studio," he claims. Rosalía purses her lips. "You said you'd be able to balance everything," she quietly mentions. Her husband nods. "I know, I'm sorry. I need to do better, I will, I promise," he reassures her, taking her face in his hand. "You know a promise means nothing if I don't see a change, right?" the woman reminds him.

Daniel's eyes soften. He knows how important apologies and keeping promises are to her. He almost lost her 34 years ago because of an empty apology. Trust is everything in their relationship and he doesn't want to jeopardize that by falling short of his promises. "I know. Don't worry, I'll try my best to balance everything. I'm sorry I left you to run our businesses alone," he tells her, gazing into her eyes. "I've just been focused on giving these kids a chance to defend themselves," he adds, sounding guilty. Rosalía nods in understanding. She knows he means it, that he truly does want to do better.