Chapter 97: We Deserve That Chance

City Council Hearing

Councilperson Roberts bangs the gavel on the desk. "Mr. Carter, please, we need to move on."

"And now I'm hearing the city wants to rename manholes 'maintenance covers.' Do you know what we called a manhole back in my day...? A manhole. And that's just the start..."

Rosalía, Daniel, Selena, Sam, and Amanda sit in the audience waiting for Mr. Carter to wrap up his complaints. Rosalía is tired of listening to the elderly man drone on. She's tempted to drag him off the floor herself. Meanwhile, Selena turns to her father, who's reading over his notes. "You're gonna do great, , don't worry," she sweetly assures him. Daniel grins thankfully at her before focusing on his folder again. His wife turns her head to look at him, making her eyes land on a certain blonde who sits down at the end of the row.

Johnny turns his head, freezing when he makes eye contact with the woman. He hasn't seen her or Daniel since Robby was released from juvie, and they left off on a misunderstanding. So to say that seeing the couple again is awkward is an understatement. Rosalía gives him a slight grin, so he nods in return. Selena notices her mother looking at something so she follows her line of sight, taken aback when she sees the blonde man. She knows about his encounter with her parents, so she feels horrible about the uncomfortable situation she's put him in.

Pinche chismosa [fucking gossip]. I have to make it up to him, she scolds herself. She lightly grins and sends him a small wave. Johnny waves back, delighted to see the teen. Daniel feels Selena facing his direction so he raises his head to look at her before turning the other way. He's instantly annoyed when his eyes land on the blonde. He finds his presence way more irritating now that he knows about his feelings for his wife. Why does he always have to show up everywhere? He leans toward him and curtly whispers, "what are you doing here?"

"Fighting for the All Valley. What about you? You're gonna read from your diary?" Johnny teases, pointing to Daniel's folder. Rosalía and Selena bite back a smile, wanting to laugh at his question. "There's nothing wrong with being prepared," the tan man claims in defense. "Yeah, and I don't need notes. I'll shoot from the hip," the blonde cockily responds, forming a finger gun. Daniel sighs and turns to his wife. "This is gonna be a disaster," he states, shutting his folder. Rosalía shares a look with Selena and Sam, they can feel the anger radiating off him.

The sound of a gavel banging fills the room, capturing everyone's interest. "Okay, next we will hear appeals for the cancellation of the All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament. Who would like to speak first?" Councilperson Roberts declares, sounding bored. Johnny quickly stands up, Daniel following by a second. "You got this, amor," Rosalía mutters, beaming encouragingly at him. Her husband smiles back as he scoots out of the row.

Both men quickly make their way down the aisles but unfortunately for them, someone else who was seated in the first row beats them to the podium. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm retired Army Captain John Kreese," the person pipes up. Johnny and Daniel halt upon hearing him and exchange a look. Daniel turns over his shoulder to glance at his wife, who's as taken aback as he is. Ugh, when did this bitch get in here? She wonders. "Thank you for your service," Councilperson Roberts addresses Kreese.

Johnny goes to sit in the second row while Daniel remains where he is. "It was an honor to serve," the old man states with a faux grin. "And I continue to serve right here in our community, by teaching our children strength and discipline through karate," he claims. Rosalía resists the urge to scoff at how innocent he's making himself seem. She already knows that everybody is going to eat up his lies. If only they knew what he's really like...

"I was devastated to hear about the cancellation of the tournament because of the fight at the high school. Why are my students being penalized because of the violence perpetrated by... dojos like Miyagi-Do?" he continues, turning to look at Daniel. Sam and Selena share an annoyed look, shaking their heads. "Now wait just one minute," Daniel interjects, offended by Kreese's accusation. "Mr. LaRusso, please. It's not your turn to speak," Councilperson Roberts addresses him.