Chapter 71: Yin and Yang

Miyagi-Do Dojo

Selena arrives at the dojo and walks up to the screen doors of the house. She wants to be alone for a little bit and this is the only place she could think of to go. She slides the door open and steps inside, furrowing her eyebrows when she sees an In-N-Out bag on top of a box in the corner. Who's here? She wonders. She goes to the back doors and slides them open, finding Sam sitting on the deck. "Sam?" she calls, making the girl turn her head in shock. "Selena? What are you doing here?" the blue-eyed girl asks.

Selena shrugs. "I just wanted to sit here and think," she answers. Sam nods in understanding. "Same," she responds. The dark-haired girl approaches her and sits down next to her. "So this is where you ran off to," she pipes up. Sam keeps her head down, smiling weakly. "Well, technically, to In-N-Out then here," she clarifies, lifting her cup. "What about you? Did you just come from school?" she questions, glancing at her cousin. Selena shakes her head. "I left right after you did. I was at the hospital..." she trails off, staring down at her hands.

Sam gazes at her empathetically. "How'd it go?" she asks. Selena lightly shakes her head. "Same as always. I talked and he was unresponsive," she glumly claims. Sadness fills Sam's eyes upon hearing this. "I'm sorry. It's all my fault," she apologizes, on the verge of crying. Selena turns to her, feeling bad when she sees her sad face. "What? No! Sam, this is not your fault. You're not the one who started the fight. Tory took what she saw the wrong way and decided to go psycho. That's not on you," she assures her.

Sam looks down with a frown. "Besides, if I was fast enough, I could've stopped Robby. So, I'm partly to blame," Selena expresses shamefully. Sam lifts her head to look at her. "Sel, it wasn't your f-" she begins to say when a new feminine voice interrupts her. "Selena? Sam?" The two girls turn around, seeing Daniel and Rosalía standing in the doorway.

Oh, shit, Selena thinks. "Uh, hi, mami and papi. What are you guys doing here?" she speaks up. "What are you guys doing here? Is Robby with you?" the man questions as he and his wife step outside. The two girls perk up at the mention of Robby.

"No. Have you heard from him?"

"No. You haven't heard from him?"

They speak at the same time. "No, we were just looking for him. Why aren't you two in school?" Rosalía voices. The teens' faces fall and they share a look. "You wanna go first?" Selena asks. "You go," Sam replies. "Okay," the other girl agrees before gazing at her parents. "I froze... I thought I'd be fine until the memories came back and I... It felt like it was happening all over again. I couldn't take it. I had to leave," she explains. Her parents give her a concerned look. They hate how much their daughter was affected by what occurred.

Selena glances at Sam encouragingly. The blue-eyed girl glances at the adults and starts talking. "I thought I was ready... But then... everybody was staring at me," she expresses, rubbing her arm. "I just had to get out of there. So... I came here. Well, In-N-Out, and then here." Rosalía walks over to them. "Aw, guys," she sadly mutters, sitting next to Selena and placing her hand on top of hers. Daniel comes and sits next to Sam. "I get it," he sighs. "Believe me, I've been in enough fights to know," he claims.

Selena and Sam share a look before turning to the man. "It's different when you're a girl," Selena pipes up, making the other teen nod. "Yeah. I mean, even if you win, you're not cool or tough. They think you're crazy," Sam adds. Rosalía nods, knowing how true that is. There doesn't even have to be a fight. Showing any negative emotion gets a woman called hysterical. "Even other girls think that. It's internalized misogyny," Selena states. Her parents exchange a look.

"And I can't stop thinking about Miguel and Robby. Miguel is still in a coma and Robby's all alone and I can only imagine how he feels," she adds in a shaky voice. At first, she was mad at him for what he did but that never stopped her from worrying about him. She looked for him in all the places she knows he hangs out, hoping to bring him home. She doesn't want him to think she hates him. She could never. Her mother's chest tightens. She's thought a lot about how awful Robby must be feeling as well.