Chapter 10 ➼︎ White Gloves

Chapter 10, White Gloves

I had made up my mind. I wanted to court Laurie! I really wanted this more than anything. I wanted a marriage. I wanted to have kids. I would inherit my parents money. And I could help the March family out here. They would never be in debt ever again! If everything worked out and we wanted to wed one another.

Did he really want to move on with me? Was he finally over Jo? It all sounded really lovely. I was excited about it. I wanted to be with him. I cared a great deal. I admit it. It was my own fault for growing attached to him so fast. But he was so kind to me. Ever since I moved here.

I was going over to his grandfathers house to have tea today. And I was supposed to give Laurie my answer. About the courtship.

My heart was racing in my chest. I thought once I said yes to a boy on this subject then I would truly know if I was going to be marrying him. That there were nothing but promises of love between us for me to give into saying yes to courting a boy.

I was so unsure. My heart was sure. My heart wanted Laurie. But my soul was unsure he wanted me. If Jo were around here then things would be easier to see. But Jo was not home any longer. Jo was out of the picture. How could I really know if I was making a huge mistake or not?

•✿︎︎•

"Fiona tell me are you going to agree to court Laurie?" wonders Meg curiously as I check my image in the mirror that day.

"I can't say until I talk to him alone first Meg" I softly answer. "It would not be proper"

"I remember when John asked to court me. We did not tell Jo. She would have been upset. Jo found out when John took Marmee to Papa when he fell ill. And John went to see my father to ask for my hand in marriage. I had no idea" giggles Meg as she reflects on her love for her husband.

"That is romantic" I agree.

"Indeed!" she adds. "you know I never thought Laurie would get over Jo. But he has with you! I can tell he cares such a great deal about you!" she brags on me.

I beam a happy smile hearing her say those things.

"But can you be sure? Maybe he wants to be with me to help him get over her?" I point out.

"Laurie is not that type of boy. I could not see him doing that sort of thing" she scoffs as she helps me touch my hair up.

The clock dings on the wall.

•✿︎︎•

"Oh my it is time for me to go! Or I shall be late" I fret.

"Good luck! I hope things work out! I would love for Laurie to be a part of our family" Meg tells me with a happy smile. I nod.

I head downstairs as she follows after me. My aunt stops me.