Chapter 18 ➼︎ Professors

Chapter 18, Professors

I never saw Jo so down in the dumps before. Here I was happy could be with Laurie. And she kept missing her Professor. I hoped in my heart that they would work things out between them. 

I was in the store in town with Marmee to look over wedding dresses. Aunt March was allowing me to spend my family's money on the wedding. Once I wed then it would be fully my money. Aunt March would not have to look over me any longer.

The dresses in the shop were so beautiful. I loved the dress Meg wore at her wedding. Marmee let her wear her wedding gown. Meg was stunning in that. I wished I could wear my mother's dress. But it was all the way overseas. I would never be able to get it. 

There was no way.

•✿︎︎•

"What is it? You look sad" Jo asks me. We thumb through the gowns there in the store.

"I wish I could wear my mother's dress in my wedding as Meg had hers. And I wish my family would be here for the wedding" I softly answer.

"We will be" Jo reminds me with a grin as she places her hand on my hand.

"Thanks Jo. I am happy about the wedding planning but I wish my mother was here to help me. There is so much to do. I wonder if I am doing it right. Or what not to do" I sigh. "It is confusing"

"You should talk to Meg about this stuff. She was married off. I never will be" scoffs Jo.

"Sure, you will one day Jo" I say. "and you will have a family of your own. With adorable kids"

"Never!" laughs Jo as she shakes her head. "I shall be a spinstress as Aunt March always knew I was going to be one" she sighs. "she knew"

"That is not true Jo" I tell her.

Jo smiles sadly at me. "Let's drop it shall we? This is a happy time and we are to celebrate it" says Jo.

We look at more dresses. I try on a few but none of them seem right to me. I was not happy. But I knew at some time here I was going to have to find a dress.

"We can wait on the dress you have time. You need it to be perfect for your big day" Marmee tells me. "No need to rush this" she says as she leads us out of the shop.

•✿︎︎•

We go have lunch in town. It was good to be out. The sun was bright. And the sky was blue. It was a fantastic day. Then it got a little cloudy as Marmee bought flowers at a stand.

She was going to place flowers on Beth's grave on the way home. We walk and talk together. It felt good to have this family time with them. I wished Meg and Amy were here alongside us as well.