Chapter 11 ➼︎ Baby Blessings!

Chapter 11, Baby Blessings

I had begun courting Laurie. I was thrilled. This was indeed my first ever courtship. I was nervous about it. Most of the time we were accompanied by someone.

To supervise us while we were on the date. But in the most respectable manor. At times we were invited over to dinner with Meg and John. And then other times Laurie invited me for tea with his grandfather.

We went to church with my aunt and uncle. On nice days we would take a nice walk all alone. Laurie tried to shower me with gifts.

But I let him know right away I was not that kind of a girl. I could not be bought. My heart wanted affection. We got closer every week we spent more time together. The more I got to know Laurie the more I was falling for him.

The more it began to excite me to think that he might want to marry me one day.

I was in the kitchen washing vegetables from the garden with Marmee. My aunt prefers that I called her that. We were growing closer.

She was like a mother figure to me these days. I was grateful for her in my life. She would never replace my mother but she did my heart good to have her in my life.

•✿︎︎•

"Marmee, may I ask you a question?" I begin to say.

"Sure, dear you may ask me anything" she says with a nod. I hand the washed vegetables to her and she began to cut them. Hannah was helping to set the table and get the dishes ready for dinner.

"How long does courtship last until the gentlemen asks to marry you? How long did it take for uncle to ask you?" I wonder.

"Not long for him. But every man can be different. For uncle within six months he was ready to ask for my hand in marriage. We knew it was god's great design for us. And we were right. Of course, we both did a great deal of praying while the courtship went about" she chuckles softly. "those were the best times"