Chapter 14 ➼︎ Nurse Fiona!

Chapter 14, Nurse Fiona!

I was happy to have Jo back home. Yet at the same time I was not very happy to have Jo home. Because it put a strain on my courtship.

Jo was getting along with Laurie the past few days. I was grateful. It humbled my heart to see two good friends working things out together.

But my heart was till in shambles. And it was never going to recover again. I had come up with a plan. I needed to talk things over with Marmee and Meg about it before I went about doing it.

I find Marmee in the kitchen hunched over some dessert she was baking for our dinner tonight. She looked very happy. I knew she was excited about becoming a grandmother soon.

I knew Meg had to be nervous could be. I hoped one day I would become a mother myself. Laurie's kids would be adorable with his handsome smile. And kind eyes. Whoever had a child with him would be deeply blessed.

•✿︎︎•

"Marmee we need to talk" I softly speak up.

"Fiona dear come help me finish these apple pies. They are going to be wonderful" she tells me. "go on tell me what troubles you?" she asks me.

"Well, the baby is going to be here any time now. And Meg and John only have one another. A new baby can be stressful as can be. I was thinking of offering myself as a nurse or live in help to them. And work there. I love it here do not get me wrong. I am so thankful you took me in. But I would love to ask Meg and I wanted to ask you first if that would be alright by you?" I ramble out a long-winded question.

Marmee looked baffled by my announcement.

"It is better than my first plan to go back home" I tease.

"Are you that unhappy here child?" she worries.

"No, it is not you. It is hard to live beside Laurie. And Jo. I need a break" I answer her softly so no one over hears me.

"Oh, that is why. I get it now" sighs Marmee. "I would say go for it! Meg could use the help and I agree it is much better than you returning home. This is your home now child" she reminds me with a hug.

"What is going on?" wonders Jo as she comes entering the room.

•✿︎︎•

She had fresh ink stains on her hands. She had to have been writing up in the attic.

"Fiona wants to go stay over at Meg's home. And help with the new baby. And I think that is such a wonderful selfless act don't you Jo?" wonder Marmee.

"Wonderful" says Jo though she eyes me suspiciously.

Once Marmee left the kitchen Jo corners me.

"Why are you really moving?" wonders Jo. "is it me? And I making you upset?" she wants to know. "I can change"