Chapter 12 ➼︎ Facing The Facts

Chapter 12, Facing Facts

I wrote Jo back telling her how happy I was that she was coming back home to Concord. When in truth I was dreading her home coming. I knew it was going to be an end for my beloved courtship with Laurie. I had yet to bring the matter up to talk to Laurie about it. But I knew when the time came Laurie was going to be thrilled to see Jo.

Sure, at first things might be fine with us. And we would try to stick it out in the end. But then Jo would reconnect with Laurie. I would find them together when I did not expect them to.

As well as Jo inviting herself along for our dates out. I could already see it coming. In fact it was giving me nightmares. I tossed and turned having restless sleeps at night from it.

Waking up in a cold sweat. One morning I woke and rubbed my poor temples. My head was throbbing a bit. I get out of bed. I had fresh water ready for me. Marmee had Hannah set it out for me already.

I go about my day trying to shoo sad thoughts from my head. I get dressed. I brush my long auburn hair. Then I place a bow in the middle. I glance at myself in the mirror.

I looked like I lost my best friend. I knew I lost both of them. Jo and Laurie. Maybe once I have gained all my money I could move back home. Reconnect with my old friends there. Though there was only Amy there. I could go be with Amy and aunt March. There was an idea! I sigh.

•✿︎︎•

"Oh, good morning, dear Fiona" Marmee spots me sitting on my bed there in the hallway.

"Hello! Good morning" I reply.

"Why do you look so sad love? Is it because you miss your parents?" she questions as she sits on the bed with me. I shake my head no.

"I can't say but I can say it is not that" I replied to her.

"Tell me. You know you can tell your old aunt anything" she reminds me as she hugs me.

"This I can't" I mutter. "Well, I might as well tell you"

"Go on"

"I am homesick. And I was thinking of going to stay with aunt March a bit and Amy. I miss her" I add.

"But Laurie? What about your courtship? You have been so happy with him. And he with you! What about Jo? She was coming home, and you looked forward to seeing her....oh...." Marmee says with a smile.

"Oh?!"

"Are you worried Jo and Laurie still have feelings there and he will forget about you when she comes home?" asks Marmee.

"Somewhat yes. I do not wish to stay when the time comes" I sigh.

"Jo has no feelings for Laurie other than brotherhood" says Marmee. "That professor she is smitten with him. She has talked about him in all the letters she sent home here"